Concern Oil Usage

johnjoe64

Petrolheads
Hello Everybody I was just wondering how much oil is it normal for a Legacy B4 to use between services as I think maybe mine is using oil I have no leeks that I can see and no blue smoke on a cold start the car is well serviced and only has 73,000 kh on it should I worry or is this normal Many Thanks John Lewis.

Re: Concern

Emmm !!! should a car burn oil like that NO !!!
Do Subaru's burn oil YES ...... not to sure Why ?

But my 99 TypeR with 90,000 miles on the clock Dose not burn oil
but my last 01 WRX with 32,000 miles drank it :dunno:

Maybe someone will have a better explanation .

Anyway i just checked the oil once a month and never had a prob

Niall.

Re: Concern

neither of my 2 subarus ever needed an oil top-up, even if i didn't get it serviced for 10k miles the oil levels stayed up.

maybe its just my driving!!! if the ring is being drivin off it morning noon and night then oil will prob burn!!

As Niallyboy said, some cars burn oil, others dont.
My 98 type r would need a slight top up maybe twice between 5k oil change. Probably only ammounting to 100 or 200ml of oil.
But its also possible there is a slight oil leak :thumbsup:

there will be no set rule of thumb really .. as every engine is different and has been treated differently ..

par example... my old levin barely went through a litre of oil in the year that i had her , but other lads were going through a litre a month ...

but when i got my B4 , i noticed she was going through emmmmm about a litre a week , so i had her checked out and now shes in for a rebuild at the moment , :doh:
i really hope you dont have to go though that as well :pray:

ive never had to top up my b4 and i check it about once a week. i would also have thought that the type of oil you use could determine the ammount that the car burns off.
ive stopped putting rediculously exspensive oils into my car but i still put in a decent oil and i dont seem to have any problems. i think the higher spec the car the more attention you have to pay to the oil you put in especially if you drive the nuts off it.

Back