clickin in my 1.5 impreza

J

Jerry C

it's a 1.5 front wheel drive impreza.
gettin a clickin when i accelerate around a left hand bend. i put in a new outer cv joint and changed d inner cv joint but reckon d inner cv joint wasn't great. want to stick in a pair of decent shafts but don't want to pay a fortune for em. if it's not this wot else coud it be.
Jerry C

is it happenin constantly? Cos if it is it might just be somethin stupid even like a stone in your tyre

Hi i've also got a 1.5 impreza and am going to try and replace the left drive, how did you find taking off the old one and would a drive from a 1.6 euro impreza fit ?
any help would be great. Murt

Would a fooked wheel bearing cause this lads?
mate had the same prob in his scooby and im nearly certain it was a bearing!will find out later!

it's only when i accelerate while turinin left hence my worries bout d drives.
so it wouldn't be a stone and d clips in brakes bein loose would be a rattle more than a click i'd say and would probably cause a judder when brakin which isn't happenin.
went to my mechanic today a he reckons it's just a bit of play in the joint.
keep d suggestions comin though lads

@murto- it's no problem to take out once ya can get the nut at the end of the drive shaft open, then open the bolt holding the ball joint in the lower suspension arm, pry it apart , then go to the in board end of things next to d gear box and tap the pin out of the inner cv joint. then push then shock and hub outward and pop the inner joint of the drive then the outer end of the shaft should be easy to pull from d hub.

will check d wheel bearing and d brake clips to make sure but it doesn't happeni in a straight line :ponder: or when brakin :dunno:

sounds like the bearing to me........drivshafts usually a grinding noise, but a bearing is usually a knocking noise especially breaking while turning.

theres also a mounting behind the airfilter box sometimes comes loose its very hard to diagnose something without hearing it where abouts are you in the country

@ murto let me know how it goes for ya, wasn't sure if my explanation was up to much but seems you got the jist.

@northdublin would it not make a kind or groan for d bearing and would it be all d time? also wot kinda job is to replace one of these? would i need a press or wot?

@rob mehigan i'm in cork, wot kinda mounting we talkin about? one for d air box or sumtin more important??

cheers lads keep all d suggestions comin, they are much appreciated and help me knock a few possibilities off d list before i fork out for a new innner cv joint.

no its a mounting under the air filter box joining the engine/gearbox to the bulkhead im in midleton if you want me to have a listen my number is 0876883902

@northdublin would it not make a kind or groan for d bearing and would it be all d time? also wot kinda job is to replace one of these? would i need a press or wot?

my experience with cv joints and bearings have been on other cars...not subarus. but from what ive done on other cars the cv joints made a grinding noise cause all the greese had escaped and the bearings where pressed into the hub carrier then the hub pressed into the bearing. in the hub assy its all packed so tight that there does only be a small bit of movement which occurs under breaking while turning, not sure of the suspension set up on your car but ive seen knocking noises comming from anti rollbar links and worn bushes. if its a bearing when you jack the car up you will get a slight rocking in the wheel if you move it by hand. but its impossible to tell over the net.im sure some of the experienced lads could diagnose it in seconds if they had access to the car. hope you get it sorted

Cheer's for the tips on taking off the cv joint, i dont know if this helps you but there's a 97 impreza wagon (silver euro one) in a breakers yard
opposite the Red Cow. It no longer has an engine but everything else is on it, including a left drive shaft, so could be worth 20 yo yo's. You might also get a few other
bits and pieces.

Back