problems starting

help please

• Total voters

cecildrumstick

Sunday Drivers
Gday all. Drivng a 04 wrx special and havin problems startin it. It doesnt always start on the first turn of da key and its wreckin my head. Had it up in C&R and they changed the plugs and fuel filter but didnt make a difference. This is an intermittant problem. It always starts, just not straight away. Please help :pray: :pray:

I had similar intermittant problem with my 98 Sti.
Changed the plugs from NGK Pfr6b's to NKG Pfr7b's and put in a new fuel filter and problem solved.
Other then that i can only suggest possibly a coil pack causing the problem.

No not a white one. Not the battery either. put a new one in when i bought it. Had the plugs and fuel filter changed by C&R so doubt its that. Cost me 300 yo yos and still hav the problem, head melted!!!
Might hav to try the coil pack so. Any idea how much?

Not sure how much coil packs are for your car. I think you have 4 individual ones.
My V5 sti has one big pack that does all 4 cylinders. It cost around 240euro i think.

sounds very like a crank sensor, the brother had a problem with starting a 95 STI. RA, sometimes it would start first go, other times it could sit there and turn over for 10 mins without starting , then again she could start first go, and after a drive call into a shop , come out and it would not start. He ended up changing all the coil packs to no joy, so he done a self test on the E.C.U. and the fault came up as the crank sensor, happy days,

rgds.
Fergus.

i had similar problems with an 06 impreza rx it started when it felt like it, took it back and they updated the software onthe ecu and that sorted the problem

Cheers 4 replies lads. C&R ran a diagnostics check on it, so if it was that sensor surely it would hav shown up. Mite just change the fecker anyway. have started to start the car in a special way now. I turn da key so da engine light comes on and then turn it off again. Then when i go to start da car i press down da clutch. Seems to do da job but fairly head wreckin!!!!!

A crank sensor will not always show up on a diagnostic, becauce if the ECU won't see that the engine is running. It's very rare that a fuel filter will stop a car from starting.

John.

How much 4 a crank sensor and is it handy to change. Hate havin to drop the car in, get a lift home, then a lift back to collect, then hand over 3 ton!!!

I thought that all faults as in the engine not starting would be stored in the ecu and when plugged into the diagnostics it would show up unless you have an after market ecu!

Did C&R check this or just take a chance on it been the plugs?

C & R said they checked it on diagnostics. Stuck in plugs and filter anyway just to try something. At a loss at this stage

Hi, hope this helps, i was looking thru an old issue of Car Mechanic's June 06 issue, it had an electronic diagnostic on engine managements.
Covered the Subaru MPFI system. NO GO it suggests the Throttle position sensor the Mechanic uses an AD200 diagnostic tool(hopefully a Subaru garage will have.
The Throttle position sensor is a basic potentiometer, it produces a voltage output that ranges from 0.2V to 4.4V, some times the track on the arm gets worn away
which is shown as "breaks" in the output it is a sealed unit and costs about £60 from the UK. It can be ajusted by hand slightly once fitted. Oh it suggests the all the
Earth points on the engine should be checked first. Good luck :thumbsup:

Back