best tyre choice?

W

wasps rfc

i do quite a few miles a year, over 25,000, and already have found the standard bridgestone too soft a compound.

any recommendations out there as an alternative without loosing too much grip etc......

not wishing to sound like mr "tight-as-arse-holes" but with that amount of mileage i dont want to be spending a fortune every 6 months!!!

cheers

goodyear eagle f1 s are very good but maybe a bit pricey with alot of miles.
I'v used federal tyres on numerous cars and found them quite good value and grippy.
Alan

i have bridgestone tyres on my car not sure which they are but have done 40000 so far(2 years), still a bit of wear on them..will check to see which ones they are..

I have just put another set of Federals on the car and cannot fault them. I get at least 25k out of them and wet and dry grip is excellent. Not too pricey, a set of 245-45-17 cost me €500 inc fitting and balancing.

Alan

I am on my second set of Yokohama AVS tyres, got around 20K out of the last set.

Very good grip in both wet and dry. I paid €560 for the 4. Another good tyre is the

Hankook k104 which are coming standard on some of the newer Scooby's. Heard

mixed reviews on the Goodyears, great for grip but with some people having problems

with sidewalls spliting.

Eamonn

WOW 20,000... 25,000 & 40,000 miles :shock: :shock:
on one set of tyres :ponder: :ponder:
God lads i din't know how ye manage that, i reckon
i'd would be driving on the rims by 15,000 miles guess the
roads down hear don't help.

The best tyre i've ever had for grip and for ware is
the Eagle F1's.

Best Tyre: Toyo's ..................T1s :) :)

Niall.

Have to agree with Niall, it must be the brutal roads down here. I'm just over 9,000 miles on the new *cough* tyres E Garry put on my car when I bought it and I'll have to change them soon.
As to how "new" they were.........well that's another question altogether.

While we're on the topic, can I just hijack for a minute with a very basic question? If I switch the front and rear wheels will it affect balance/tracking? Have slight wear on outside on both front tyres (even though the car is dead straight) so I want to switch tyres with the back ones.

John

John i normally switch front and rear well
depending on the "funds" at the time.
but i always have them balance and tracked again.

Niall.

hi John,

swapping the wheels wont effect either tracking or balancing(so long as they're ok to begin with) but if your front tyres are wearing on the outside only then the tracking is definitely out. if the tyres are wearing on the inside and outside then the tyres are too soft and need to be pumped. you are better off swapping the worn tyres to the back and getting the car laser-line tracked. your tracking can still be out even if the car is still driving straight.

George

[quote author=GT performance link=topic=762.msg6110#msg6110 date=1163153313]
your tracking can still be out even if the car is still driving straight.
[/quote]

Never knew that :dunno: you learn something new everyday!! I thought it was funny cos it's the straightest car I've ever driven. It scored 2 zeros in that slip/slide test in the NCT (my old car got something like +9 on the front and -11 on the back).
Swap tyres and do the tracking so :thumbsup:

Cheers,
John

Just checked what they are, bridgstone turanza..size was 195/50.15.. I put them on for nct nov2004, nct due for renewal soon have about 40000 have swapped front to back prob need to change rear ones for nct. but not bad going on donegal roads!!! they are supposedly reinforced on wall to give protection to alloy..I think they were about €60 a tyre or so fitted and balanced...good grip in wet and dry cant fault them at all..

Contrary to popular belief the best tyres should be put on the back of the car!

Top Gear did a test with good tyres on front and bald ones on the rear. They then drove the car through a series of wet bends to see what would happen. Then they put the good tyres on the back and the bald ones up front and repeated the test.

The result was unexpected. With the good tyres at the back the car drove through the wet bends reasonably well but with the good tyres at the front it oversteered badly. I know it seems contrary to logic but thats what happened.

Maybe someone could find the clip on the net. I just haven't the time at the moment.

Frawls

I don't know about anyone else but in the wet its always the front end that goes first on the bends
over/ under steer.(I get confused which is which) If the back goes, for me its easier to control, but if the front goes straight and I'm trying to left or right I'm stuck! :hang:

Frawls that applies to FWD cars........ not RWD or 4wd .
In a 4wd you should change all four tyres at once :shock: :shock:

Dali your driving an Irish/UK Subaru...........i think.
So the power is split in a ratio of 60:40 in favour of the
front wheels......................ie 60% of the power through the
front , 40% through the rear.

That and other reason's is why your Subaru will under steer.
more so in the classic shape and improving through the newer
versions.

Dali if your in a thight corner and your front end is braking away,
simply ease off on acceleration and it will easily correct.

Golden rule with 4wd, slow in fast out.......... What you don't want is for the
front end to give way while under heavy braking on sharp corner........

Niall.

Thanks for that!

I do that anyway subconsciously with the word F**k.

I see on some impreza the there is a dif dial around the handbrake, does that control the power to front and back?

Dali

[quote author=FRAWLS link=topic=762.msg6309#msg6309 date=1163448267]
Contrary to popular belief the best tyres should be put on the back of the car!

Top Gear did a test with good tyres on front and bald ones on the rear. They then drove the car through a series of wet bends to see what would happen. Then they put the good tyres on the back and the bald ones up front and repeated the test.

The result was unexpected. With the good tyres at the back the car drove through the wet bends reasonably well but with the good tyres at the front it oversteered badly. I know it seems contrary to logic but thats what happened.

Maybe someone could find the clip on the net. I just haven't the time at the moment.

Frawls
[/quote]

I've just put 2 new tyres on the front, plenty left on the rears and I've found the front end slipping away from me in the wet, infact, the new tyres are worse than ones I replaced for grip! The car's behaving a bit skittish. I'm hoping that the new tyres need a little while to 'bed in' - is that a correct assumption?

my understanding is that some tyres depending on the compund will take some time to bed in, 100 miles or so.

been reading this and the other linked posts...

if you had to pick one of the eagle f1 or the toyo t1-r, which would it be??

I have RE070s on mine at the moment, and they don't last candlelight.... which at 650 euros a set aint cool...
the first new set of rears i put on her did just over 3000 miles, the fronts did just over 5000.

having to drive way more gently to not cook them...current set might do over 10K if i mind them... i wouldnt mind like.. its not like im sliding all over the place... just take it as far as the edge of the traction circle... had her alignment and everything checked.... just seems as soon as you put any temperature in to them, they just start peeling off layer after layer... :subaru:

had a chat with Niall about it a while back, but trying to get as much as i can out of them first.. reckon its gonna be a saucy start to 2007 :)

Back