Reformat / Reinstalling Windows - Tips Needed

T

Turbo

My PC's been fecking around for a while & now it's been infected by a virus that I can't find . I bought it second hand & the previous owner had installed 2 versions of XP on it - home & pro . I've been intending to reformat the hard drive for a while & I think I'll do it now .

Is it difficult to format the hard drive , bearing in mind I'm a novice ? What about reinstalling XP , is it very complicated ? I have a proper registered version of XP but I also have a CD of Service Pack 3 but it has no serial no . Does I need a serial no to install it ? Do I need to put in SP1 & SP2 first ?

I might use this opportunity to upgrade the hard drive - any recommendations on what to install & where's the cheapest place to buy ?

Cheers ,
Derek

Not too sure at all this either but I wouldnt attempt anything unless I had all the serail numbers, just to be sure? As for drives and hardware, Ive found peates on parnell st to be pretty reasonable. Either that or Maplin. Best of luck! :thumbsup:

Derek, you can get on to the Windows website and download some of their security programmes.Windows defender seems to do the job. You will find it here http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx Download it and scan your system and it will remove any dodgy programmes. You should not have to re format the hard drive after you do this. Also download the free version of AVG anti virus software, Google it and you will find it. And lastly, stay off the ladyboy sites, they are full of all kinds of viruses :nana:

Alan

Back