BRAKE PROBLEM DRIVING ME MAD!! (help)

Ianbhp

Middle Lane Hogs
Hey lads, my 00 b4 legacy, is acting up in the old brakes dept. around 5 weeks ago the front left brake callipers got stuck on, so brakes where taken off and one pistion seemed not to be returning as freely as the other so with a bit of time spent working them in and out it seemed to free out, around 3 weeks later the right hand front brakes had the same problem, :doh: same solition, problem solved until last night and its back to the left side again. :hang:
another quaetion is should there be shims in with the pads as standard, none where put in by garage that i bought the car off? :ponder:
thanks lads.

It sounds like they need to be totally stripped down and maybe new seals put in!
I don't think it's something you'd do yourself so a good mechanic would be the way to go!
Or esle take this opportunity to upgrade to a set of scooby 4pots :thumbsup:
Best of luck
Dan

I should be sellin the 4 pots of my V5 type R in a couple of weeks if my upgrade goes to plan :subaru:

wikll the 4 pots off your v5 be a direct fit for the legacy? roughly how much will you be looking for them? :ponder:

The discs are 294mm i think and as far as i know they will fit. Some of the lads on here will know better.
Id be looking for 300euro for them :thumbsup:

Is it me or are the scooby brakes sh*t!im on my second scooby now and iv had sticking brake problems with both cars :angry:

and how did you come around the sticking brake problem? :ponder:
if i got the 4 pots off the v5, would it be necessary th upgrade the rear brakes too? would they be way out of balance if i only upgraded the front, or am i wrong?

Hello Ian,

Front brakes do most of the braking on your car, I often see cars with six pots etc on the front and standard brakes on the rear, so there is no real issue upgrading the fronts and leaving the rears as is :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael

ive 4 pots on the front of my legacy and the standard ones on the rear and ive never had and problem...

no 4 pots will not put the brakes out of balance..

although i have seen this with upgraded brakes done all round on a car from certain manufactuer...

Not in position to say which type though on public forum........... :thumbsup:

thanks for the advice lads, ill price the seals but might just go ahead and upgrade, :D so will you keep me updated matt on when your 4 pots are up for sale etc.
sound. :thumbsup:

Regarding brake balance!
I didn't notice any difference when I went from standard 4 pots to the biggest 6 pots you can get with much bigger discs on the front only!
Standard rears just with better pads!
Alot of time attack lads just upgrade the fronts!
Dan

i had the same problems..seems to be common enough in the B4 ..mines 00 too..its all sorted now though :)

Lads the biggest problem for Subaru brakes , is most of us
upgrade the pads (more brake dust) and of course we all drive Our cars
so gently.......... :whistle: :whistle:

But it's generally the rubber seals around the piston's in the brakes that ware
and the brake dust get's in , new seals are cheap !!!

Niall.

Back