burning smell from under bonnet

marksscooby

Petrolheads
hi all hopefully you can help my car is a impreza v4 there is a burning smell to the left hand side of the engine at the very bottom, near the pipe that comes from the turbo in under the engine on that side at the very bottom it smells like some type of fluid i wiped it off the pipe yesterday and it didnt smell anymore until today again what could be leaking there :ponder: in traffic the other day smoke came out through the bonnet vent, and when im driving along the smell comes in through the car even when the windows are closed :(

any help would be great :thumbsup:

its like the color of brake fluid, but i checked the top up level for brake fluid and it didnt loose any you could be right about the clutch because if i drive it hard for a bit the smell gets stronger :(

It could be the rocket cover gasket !!! :dunno:

Could you take a pic of the area might help lads with an answer

Niall.

@ niall,

its at the very bottom of engine on left hand side directly under the spark plugs and then on to the pipe coming from the turbo

Same thing happened to me. My left side CV boot had burst and all the grease had splashed onto the downpipe off the turbo. When the downpipe got hot it burned the grease and the smell was awful.
As Niall says it could also be the rocker cover gasket leaking oil onto the downpipe which I also had happen.

Rocker cover gaskets are a common enough issue with older Imprezas. Mine went not long after I bought it, there i was sitting in traffic (trying to look cool :lol: ) when there was white smoke billowing out from under the wheel arch :doh:

defo rocker cover gasket, its droping down onto exhaust manifold and burning off, when cools down u probably might see a littlle pool of oil on heat shield. think there about 15 euro each, tricky enuf to do as its so close to chassis leg, may prob use a crank 10 mm spanner to get some of the bolts, a flat normal 10mm spanner for some others and maybe u might get to use a small rachet and 10mm socket for couple, be careful not to slip on them and even more careful not to over tighting them and ring em off :thumbsup:

[quote author=mark c link=topic=6606.msg76522#msg76522 date=1207911628]
its like the color of brake fluid, but i checked the top up level for brake fluid and it didnt loose any you could be right about the clutch because if i drive it hard for a bit the smell gets stronger :(
[/quote]

engine oil and brake fluid dont look the same colour!!!!

Back