Is my alternator dieing?

imported_admin

Petrolheads
Hoping for a bit of technical advise here before I go out buying parts and what not. I've had this whining noise from the engine recently and found that it was occuring at the same time as the power steering struggling (getting heavy and freeing up again in one turn whilst stationary). I had a look at the power steering reservoir and it was pretty much empty, topped up, topped up and topped up and thought we'd be okay.

Now the steering is fine, but I still have the whining noise... also, now at low revs the battery light and handbrake light start to come on faintly and the windscreen wipers and electric windows seem laboured when operating. So now I'm thinking the alternator is struggling to send enough charge back round the system. Am I right in thinking it needs replacing or could it be just the belt?

Thanks in advance for any advice lads :thumbsup:

I am hoping its the belts because I am getting the same same thing....sorry I could not offer more advise....have a mec checking out the car tonight so will keep ya posted...

I just found this post on Scoobynet, so it's not looking too hopeful JohnnyB...

I can sum up alternator failure like this :-

Battery light on with glowing brake warning light.
Then ABS light on.
Then engine missfire followed by engine cutting out.
Then a realisation that you are well and truly powerless, your battery is then drained and nothing works any more.
I was lucky, my electrics died completely as I drove onto my property.
Would not be nice on a dark country lane in the middle of nowhere. :(

could be just the belt my mates was doing same thing was fitting a new rad for him and noticed the belt was in bits also the belt needs to be fairly tight pretty easy to adjust......then again their is a strong chance it is the altenator as the regulator which controls the voltage gives trouble also the impreza has the added bonus of having two regulators fitted to it's altenator main dealer price for the regulator is about 200 euro and the complete altenator is about 600 euro not genuine onescan be got for about 250-300 euro if it is the altenator i got one for my own car in pro parts also known as bridge van dismantlers up north cost me 60 euro which included delivery, u can find their number in the golden pages under car dismantlers. 10-15 minute job to fit. if u need any more help give me a shout will fit it free if you need to replace it, if u aint got gear and live in Dublin.

Cheers mate, good advice :thumbsup: I put 3 calls into my main dealer down here (sunny south west) and as usual am waiting for a response :doh: 600 notes sheeeesh... I hope it is the belt! I'll get it looked at before spending any money. Thanks again, I'll give those contacts a call :thumbsup:

Power Steering pump maybe as was ran dry??????

Altenators not common to fail so e80 on second hand one do the job if it is that...

had the exact same problem with a volvo last year,POWER STEERING PUMP.
It would feel very heavy at times of parking etc
ALAN

I hope it is either the belt or the pump cos a new alternator quote today from Subaru was €680 + VAT :doh: I could by my wife a whole car for that much!!! :D

Am getting it checked over tomorrow...

funny that nearly everything from a dealer cost 5 - 600 + VAt + Fitting.....Looks like i am in the clear belts being tightened as we type :)

well wot ya got ask urself is where did the power steering fliud go, and whining at the same time means ur pump is fooked, chk u aint got leaks at the steering rack, pump or hoses. if the fluid froths up in the pump bottle, ya got a leak somewhere and air is getting into the system if your ignition light is not on when your driving the car your altenator is ok.

it's always best to check the power steering fluid level when the car has been driven and warmed this is due to the fact that the fluid expands when heated, when cold it always gives a low reading on the dipstick so it is best not to add any fluid until you have warmed her up a bit...and as i said before belts need to be very tight for the altenator and steering.

Ok, I've just discovered that the problem IS my alternator - not enough charge going back to my battery (which is now at home charging). Good news is I'm getting it repaired in the morning for a few quid and nowhere near the €680+VAT

Well at least now you know what it is. here is the number for Bridge van dismantler's if you are ever stuck for spares (048) 79643954, they are pretty helpful and the parts usualy arrive the next day.

Back