Ignition Barrel Question

Rob Spec C

Octane Boostaholics
Right lads, as most of you know my car was stolen and the ignition is fooked. I was trying to take it apart as it seemed to be all screws so i was able to get most of it apart except for the part that attaches to the cylinder that runs up to the steering wheel. Unfortunately i found that these are not screws and look more like rivots or something. Does anyone know how to take it apart without breaking it to pieces as i will be taking one off a donor car and cant afford to break that?

they are shear-off bolts that break the head off once they have been assembled to stop anybody removing the assembly.you need to chisel them off or cut a slot in the head off them and loosen them....can be difficult to get off but the option is to break the cast housing costing alot more...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:good luck

just looked at the pictures and i reckon the die cast housing is fucked!!!

Thanks for the help man, ye the die casting is completely wrecked but im hopin to get the die cast housing with the new one. So what you're saying is to try and make a notch in it to fit a flat headed screw driver and it should come off? Guess its a job for tomorrow so, will get a metal chisel in the hardware shop tomorrow,all i have are wood ones.

Thanks again lad

i find using a good dot punch with a good hammer will do the job..use the tip of the dot punch and tap the shear bolt around to loosig it..shouldnt b too hard..done lots of them...if u dont get new shear bolts then just use 2 ordinary bolts in it..will do the job.. :thumbsup:

Back