service question

J

johnroake

hey guys,

i have a 1996 jap wrx and im looking to get a full service done on it. i can change the plugs and oil myself, so apart from the break pads wat else does the full service contain and how much would it set me back parts and labour. would a garage allow me to bring in my own parts for the service. do you think it would cost much for a cv joint, mine started knocking when the wheel is turned.

cheers lads any info appriciated

:clap:

Alrite mate, really depends on what has been done beforehand.

If timing belt hasn't been done then thats essential.
If gearbox & diff oils haven't been changed that would need doing too.
You're probably gonna need a new air filter & possibly fuel filter too.

I imagine you're bringing it to your local friendly mechanics so they're gonna be just as happy that you bring your own parts, it saves them having to search for them. Just make sure you get the right parts, nothing p!sses a mechanic off more than wrong parts.

No idea about prices for cv joint, haven't had the pleasure of replacing one yet.

€76 for the CV Joint & handy job to do. i hate doing the plugs cause of the bad positioning and fidling around

I got a price of Carroll & Roche for approx €550 for a full service including diff oils and gear box oils.... Said its about 5 hours labor for the full service...

Regards,
HIWD

Sounds like overkill going to a main stealer for this sort of work.

Try some of the traders on here for prices. Renno would get ya the full service kit, or Davelegacy the same (think he even does the work too) or the new crowd Couture Autos, special workshop prices for ISDC members of 45e an hour for labour.

There is also CarTork in Clane, Car Doctor in Castledermot who are great for generel servicing etc. Alot of the members here use Cartork inc myself and find them to be excellent. Dave Lewis is great but can be hard to get hold of.

As Brian said CDA are now doing full servicing as are a few new traders that will be on board in the next few weeks.

Damo

Couture quoted 5 hours labor as well and the parts nearly ad up to 300 euro, so looking at 500 quid with them too......

cheers lads, was gonna take it to my local scooby dealer in littleton, thats where i normally go for any work, belt was changed at 95k km the car is now at 145k km, so i might get that done. i can do the plugs, oil and oil filter and air filter myself, they are easy enough. so it is just the fluids, cv joint, and break pads, but ill be bringing them all the parts, so it is just really labour for them. so hopefuly they will be kind

they shouldnt charge u much to replace the cv joint..prob about 60-70euro labour..they shouldnt charge too much to replace the brakes either prob around 100euro labour 4 them..and same 4d oil change in the diff and gearbox...all depends were u bring it and if they charge u the VAT????? ask them will they do a cash deal 4u...sum places do and sum dont.

Back