Is something wrong?

Rob Spec C

Octane Boostaholics
I have a B4 and I noticed the other day that when accellerating with a gear engaged that there is a clicking/ticking sound roughly between 2,000 and 4,000 revs. It does not happen when revving out of gear either moving or parked. Its not loud enough to be heard over the radio which could be the reason that i may not have heard it before, just happened to be driving without it on the other day. I think its only happening when there is positive boost. The first turbo is boosting normally(afaik) to 0.6 bar when you floor it. Is the first turbo the drivers side one, could the turbo be flucked or is this normal noise? Does anyone have any idea what it could be or what I could check or would it be best to go to a mechanic?

boost soleniod maybe...if its a clicking/ticking noise...try cleaning them out their on the left hand side of the bay above the air intake..you can use a carb cleaner to blow all the crap out...btw should be 0.8 bar on first turbo

Sound man, I'll give it a go and see if i can get anywhere with it.

0.8? Hmm, thought that 0.6 was normal, my second turbo boosts at 0.8, I thought they remapped them then to 0.8 and 1.2? Maybe they're both fooked, haha

I wouldnt say their fcuked..yours is a 99 yeah? maybe they boost lower...smaller turbos higher compression...i know the late01(my02) should boost 0.8 bar afaik i could be wrong..try your solenoids first see what happens

Is this the boost solenoid? Do i have to take it off to clean it? What exactly is and where would i get a carb cleaner?

think thats it ye, its in a different place in the Impreza... Mine is clickin too, tho was down in JOMO he reckoned it wasn't the solenoid ,he cleaned it out anyway but he did the business with the wires under the dash first so it would be spittin out the dirt while sprayin in carb cleaner..... there wasn't much dirt in mine and it made feck all difference...

Sweet man, thank you, I was just on uklegacy lookin for stuff. just tried Halfords in blanch for the carb cleaner and i was told they dont have any. Will get it from my local motor factors tomorrow.

And no Dave thats not mine, just took it from richiesham's post in the members gallery.

Thanks again, hope it is only this thats the problem

[quote author=chriSTi link=topic=6267.msg71756#msg71756 date=1206452500]
think thats it ye, its in a different place in the Impreza... Mine is clickin too, tho was down in JOMO he reckoned it wasn't the solenoid ,he cleaned it out anyway but he did the business with the wires under the dash first so it would be spittin out the dirt while sprayin in carb cleaner..... there wasn't much dirt in mine and it made feck all difference...
[/quote]

Any idea what is actually causing it on yours then? If its not the solenoid?

No I stil reckon it is the solenoid, coz when it was bein cleaned and it was spittin out the dirt and cleanin fluid it was makin the same clickin sound... tho mine is stil boostin grand..

Primary turbo is on the passenger side-secondary on drivers-and my primary boost is 0.8ish and secondary 1.1ish. Try blowing out any boost pipework-think partially blocked ones can cause low boost and even throw up code 66.Thats only if a solenoid doesnt fix it.

Back