Bye bye RB5 419

F

FQ 340

Yes, she's gone and for the first time in over six years, I no longer own a scooby.

It won't be long I'm sure before I'm back, I'm already making plans, just don't tell my wife.

She's gone to a very good home so I'm happy enough, or at least as happy as I could be, she was (is) a great car. Honestly though this lad (who can post up his own name etc. if he chooses) has already booked her in for the full treatment. He is leaving her alone mechanically and is going to do all the external body work, internal trim and wheels instead. All the stuff that for one reason or another I never got around to.

Biggest problem was he bought it just before the trackday on Monday, he bought it on Saturday, just after I had prebooked and paid for the trackday. I was well looking forward to a last hoorah around the track, but such is life. I ended up having a go in the Evo just so as not to waste the money.

The Evo was fun but, to be honest, it was kind of frustrating. I simply could not bring myself to drive it in anyway hard and really, if you're not prepared to let go a little bit, trackdays are a bit pointless. I would always be inclined not to go completely nuts, it's not like you're up against the clock or anything, but usually I'd still go at it at least a little bit.

In the RB5 I found I could have a lot of fun without feeling like I was thrashing the car. The handling was so benign, so manageable it was incredible. You could happily drift from corner to corner effortlessly and apart from the brakes and engine speed, it was like a spin in the country.

Not so in the Evo. The thing is an animal, properly vicious. It pulls so hard in every gear that if you drive it all, you have to work very hard to keep it together.

It is actually completely brilliant but, at over 40 grand, you don't want to bin it, or at least I don't, and that's the problem. It is so clever and so well set up that you can get away with so much until suddenly, you have exceeded yourself, and oh dear, here come your limitations.

That said though my biggest limitation on Monday was three hours sleep combined with the hangover that seems to characterise every bank holiday weekend.

Also, what sold the Evo to me in the first place was how tight it feels and I was not prepared to lose that for the sake of driving the nuts out of it for an hour. In the end I took a half a dozen laps at a fast road pace and was left frustrated but amazed at the car's abilities. Next time I might go a bit harder.

What really did amaze me was the attention Evo got. As soon as I came back in a small crowd gathered around the car. I had no idea why, it wasn't like it was the only 8 out there. However, as the day wore on it gradually became apparent it was down to the noise.

Really, the noise is hilarious. From the inside, as I said in an early post, it sounds like my mother's Ford Focus. However, from the outside, it sounds like an F18.

I had gradually come to realise this myself as a result of driving under bridges with the window down but it really became apparent on Monday. Nobody noticed how slow I was driving, or the fact that I nearly binned it down the start finish straight after my daughter's Halloween wand and two CD's decided to jump out from under my seat to underneath the pedals, but everybody noticed the noise the thing was making.

Even my brother in law who was following me in my in his own Evo could not get over it. As he said himself, he was in his car, driving hard, with the windows up and wearing a full face helmet and he said every time I gave it the beans it was deafening. It is remarkable, it is as quiet as a mouse until the turbo spools up and then it roars like an afterburner, complete madness.

Of course I completly love it, utterly purile but there you go.

Anybody who doesn't believe me should come along to the rolling road day on November 18th, I'd say there might be a new contender for best engine noise if we could invent such a category (and still live with ourselves afterwards). Anybody got a son aged between 8 and 10 who could be the judge?

[quote author=FQ 340 link=topic=707.msg5547#msg5547 date=1162507542]

I'm already making plans, just don't tell my wife.

[/quote]

hahaha :D :D :D brilliant!

Anybody who doesn't believe me should come along to the rolling road day on November 18th, I'd say there might be a new contender for best engine noise if we could invent such a category (and still live with ourselves afterwards). Anybody got a son aged between 8 and 10 who could be the judge?

I reckon Kealan (even though he's 5) is qualified :lol:

Alan.

Excellent stuff RB5,
JohnM is about the same size as a 10 year old
will he do !!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Niall.

i am takeing good care of her oisin. i dropped her to bodyshop today. when i get her back next week, she is getting a full valet

Good man Ed, glad to hear she's being properly pampered. Don't ever let me hear a report of you driving her when it's raining.

Also, yes, mine was the silver Evo in Mondello and yes I think I might stick around despite no longer owning a Subaru. There really isn't an Irish Mitsubishi equivalent to this site and, a bit like the cars, the Lancer sites don't quite seem to have the character of the Scoobs.

Anyway, as I said I hope to be back within a few months.

SHE IS BEING MINDED LIKE A BABY. U WILL NEVER HEAR THAT REPORT BACK.

Oisin, I passed a silver EVO VIII in the afternoon session in Mondello. Was that you? Thanks for telling me you were only minding her. Now that's really burst my bubble :lol: I was in the new age WRX with the STI Spoiler.

The dark grey FQ 340 with the FQ bit in red lettering also looked very well with those mean wheels and realy low front splitter. I've seen this car around Christchurch a fair bit. Did you see the lap times Paul was putting in with his EVO V RS 2.01 secs! The next nearest guy was in the other FQ 340 at 2.04.

I had a major sideways moment when the Radical let go and put oil all over the track.

@PBSTI what times are you averaging in Mondello now? You must know the circuit backwards (not literally I hope!)

Frawls

If yours is a blue WRX with STI spoiler then yes you passed me, you and a white Evo 6 during (I think) the third session. I did the first and I think it was the third session, nobody passed me in the first session, in the third I pulled over twice. I'm running a standard, unmodded FQ340 with no oil cooler and the standard Brembos so in addition to taking it handy generally I was taking the odd complete break to let things cool down.

I didn't see another FQ340 on the day. There was a red 320 with the roof vortex generator knocking about but I didn't notice any dark greys, then again I was very hungover and preoccupied with not binning my own car so I am likely to be an unreliable witness as regards anything else.

I have only ever driven the circuit once previously and have never timed myself around it (and won't be in my car). That white RA was fast, I stayed with him for a bit of one of the laps before easing off. The white Evo 6 was also very quick and was obviously heavily modded. I honestly don't know what my car would post balls out in the right hands, but I'd say 2 is definitely possible, it really is quick, even taking it handy I was hitting top speeds of 10-15 MPH higher than my Brother-in-laws V down the start finish straight.

What mods are you running yourself?

Full exhaust, tdo4h hybrid turbo and ecu tek mapped by Andy Forrest for 95 plus lucas.

Paul's 340 bhp RS is the lightweight one. He's a top pilot too. He started in fornt of me on the 3rd session and was out of sight before I even half way round! I caught the two type R Imprezas after I passed you and held on to them right to the finish. I backed of when it started to get a little damp so I left them pull away a little. In the dry I was faster than them.

I think Phillip has the right idea with his track car Type R. I might buy an old type R in the future and let Garry Emmett loose rebuilding the engine, suspension etc.

That's what I'm thinking, build one from the ground up. That way you've a purpose built trackday car that you can push on in, you can do all the modding you want and start watching the times.

Otherwise you are wasting your time and your car. Really, on a basic level, your tyres, brakes, suspension etc. are going to mean a lot more in terms of times than outright HP. You really can't just turn up in a car that's designed and set up for road use and expect to be seeing the sort of times that you'll see in something on trackday tyres, pads, and springs.

Even taking it easy going around, I reckon I knocked a couple of months off the Pirellis, same with the pads. So trackday special here we come. Only question is, do you go Scooby or proper trackday car, maybe a Stryker or a 964 that you could actually race in a class?

What I won't be doing is buying a Radical, not if it involves bringing it down in a van, pitching a tent over it, wandering around in black race overalls before going out and sticking it in a gravel trap on my first lap, then getting towed in, folding my tent, and going home. What a palaver.

What I won't be doing is buying a Radical, not if it involves bringing it down in a van, pitching a tent over it, wandering around in black race overalls before going out and sticking it in a gravel trap on my first lap, then getting towed in, folding my tent, and going home. What a palaver.

:lol: :lol: :D :thumbsup:

Alan.

Back