advise needed

tractorman

AS ALREADY MENTIONED,I'VE BLOWN MY ENGINE ON SUNDAY,ON THE WAY TO THE TRACKDAY,HOW EMBARRASSING.ITS A 98 STI VERSION 4

A COUPLE OF OPTIONS AVAILABLE.

1.GET ENGINE RECONDITIONED BY GARY EMMETT (TOP RALLY MECHANIC)FULLY UPGRADED INTERNALS.APROX 3000-3500,A BIT EXPENSIVE

2.MCKEEVERS HAVE A VERSION 3 FULLY CLOSED DECK WITH 64KMS FOR 1300 STERLING FITTED,GOOD VALUE/HAD A CONV WITH D.LEGACY ALSO.

3.ORDER A 2.5 ENGINE FROM THE US. 2300 DOLLARS AND 500 EURO FITTING.MORE LIKELY

4. SELL CAR AS IS FOR ABOUT 10,000 APROX AND BUY SOMETHING SENSIBLE.LAST OPTION

ANY ADVISE OR OPTION PLEASE POST,ALL SUGGESTION GREATLY APRECIATED :worship:

Option 2 for sure. Are the US 2.5 engines turbo-charged? I assumed all US classics were normally aspirated models :ponder:

Out of interest, were there any signs that your engine was about to blow? Having a Jap import myself it's one thing that is always in the back of my mind, I'm constantly listening out for misfires, hiccups and whatever else. Am getting a bit paranoid to be honest :roll:

If the engine from Mcivers or Dave has just been rebuilt by Ali or someone then that sounds good. If its just a second hand engine you could spend that money and it could go a week later. Id get the 2.5 with just the uprated Pistons ( standard ones arent up to much ) and run 350 350 and be happy at that and dont push it anymore. Your not going into crazy money either and engine is still at a long term safe level.

Damo

Whats gone in the engine Alan ? If your buying a second hand engine that has standard internals make sure it is gas tested.You would not know how long the engine would last and what fuel it was on.

As a standard sti engine will only take over 300 bhp for so long . If you want 300 bhp to 380 bhp that wont give you any trouble try this site
http://www.axispowerracing.net/ ther stage 2 will take 450 bhp and he is a nice lad to take to and very helpfull this will cost you about $2700 delivered which is about €2100 plus fitting and mapping ..

Subaru ownship is a love hate thing........................

[quote author=pbsti link=topic=703.msg5522#msg5522 date=1162503379]
Whats gone in the engine Alan ? If your buying a second hand engine that has standard internals make sure it is gas tested.You would not know how long the engine would last and what fuel it was on.

As a standard sti engine will only take over 300 bhp for so long . If you want 300 bhp to 380 bhp that wont give you any trouble try this site
http://www.axispowerracing.net/ ther stage 2 will take 450 bhp and he is a nice lad to take to and very helpfull this will cost you about $2700 delivered which is about €2100 plus fitting and mapping ..

Subaru ownship is a love hate thing........................
[/quote]

Yeah Ron is the guy and he has a great rep. But he's going to have to pay some VAT and duty on top of that price I think. He can mark it down but not all the way or if it does get caught in customs there going to pick a number out of there head which will be huge.

Damo

sorry to hear your bad news again tractorman after the thieving scum thing ,dont let these things put you off (4).i,d go for no.2 theres potential there in the long run :subaru:

THANKS LADS,THERE WAS NO WARNING AT ALL,GUNNING IT A BIT ON THE M1 AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FLICKERED FOR A SECOND,AS PROGRAMMED BY ANDY FORREST TO INDICATE DETONATION.
IMMEDIATELY SLOWED DOWN AS MY APEXI HAND CONTROLLER IS BROKEN,CRUISED FOR A COUPLE OF MILES AND GAVE A SLIGHT BLIP ON THE TROTTLE IN FIFTH GEAR TO GO FROM 100 TO 120 KMH AND ALL HEL BROKE LOOSE.
EVERY LIGHT THAT COULD FLASH ,FLASHED :angry:
CAR GRADUALLY CAME TO A HAULT,HAD A LOOK UNDER THE BONNET AS IF I KNEW WHAT I'D BE LOOKING AT,NOT.
OIL LEVELS WERE PERFECT AND NO SMOKE FROM THERE OR FROM EXHAUST BEFORE STOPPING.
STARTED CAR UP AGAIN AND LIMPED TO A SIDE ROAD AND AND WENT WITH THE OTHER LADS TO KIRKISTOWN.
LATER THAT DAY,TOWED TO NAUL VILLAGE AND WENT INTO THE LOCAL AND ASKED IF ANYBODY COULD HELP OUT WITH STORAGE.
CHARACTER OF A LOCAL OFFERED TO LEAVE IT IN HIS FARMYARD,A BLESSING.
USED FRAWLS CONTACT,GARY EMMETT,A RALLY IRELAND MECHANIC AND CONFIRMED IT WAS TERMINAL=NOT GOOD
HE WILL BE OPENING UP IN THE NEXT DAY OR SO TO CONFIRM WHAT WAS AT FAULT,I'LL POST AS SOON AS I FIND OUT

ALAN

Sorry to hear about your trouble Alan.

Absolutely go for the 2.5, with a twin scroll. If I was you I'd give Performance Subaru a call and see about a quote, they might be able to do something with what's left, otherwise have a look at their prices online, I know they have a short motor up somewhere on their site. They're not the cheapest, but in my experience they are the best.

What suspension and brakes are you running?

McKeever option is second hand engine which could go bang in 4 weeks time. 2.5 requires another map so off road til then  but not bad option with a twin scroll turbo but then thats more money, option 1 a grand dearer then option ME :D with ACL heavy duty main & big end bearings, And option 4 i'm sorry to say don't think you'd get more then 7-7.5k for the car with engine blown.... no way 10k

Alan go for a fresh rebuild- a second hand engine isn't an option. Coulld let go at anytime- plus as I've seen on a few occasions what you get from certain breakers in the north reqires A LOT of changes to get running again.
Cheers
John

Sounds like a dropped valve to me Alan.
Was there any nosie will driving like click,click click etc
after you had pulled over and headded for Kirkstown.

Niall.

TRACTORMAN THAT MONEY FOR SECOND HAND ENGINE WOULD BE JUST WAISTED it could be worse than the one your taken out, i know a guy that does work on scoobys and evos and was buyn engine out of the north and said never again, he know rebuilds them all... i couldnt recomend him do... i think you should find out whats actually gone wrong first before you go and jump into something.. it might be repairable... if you dont have big turbo and fmic would the 2.5 be slower than a standard sti???? you could by new bottom end off subaru and it will be warrantied, or i think my self if i hadnt got the mods to go with 2.5 i would have to go for rebuild, buy the bits yourself and get someone to put it together 4 you, but i suppose main thing to decide is where your wanting to go power and spec wise,.. find out whats wrong first do

2.5 would still be very nice without FMIC and alot of mods. Id try stretch to a bigger turbo though. Or even without it would still be great. I think the 20g makes 1bar of boost at 2500 revs on the 2.5. So whatevr turbo you get the spool up will be fantastic.

YE,I THINK THE MCKEEVER OPTION IS A NON RUNNER,HEARD TOO MANY DODGY STORIES IN THE LAST WHILE.THE ENGINE REBUILD AND 2.5 OPTIONS ARE TOP AT THE MOMENT.
THE 2.5 OPTION,WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO GET OR DO FOR IT TO BE COMPATIBLE,RELIABLE AND FAST.
WHAT TYPE OF BHP TO START OFF WITH WITHOUT ANY MODS AND WILL THE STANDARD STI ECU WORK OK UNTILL ANOTHER MAP BY ANDY?I DONT REALLY WANT TO SELL UP AS I'LL ONLY START FROM SCRATCH IN ANOTHER YEAR OR SO.

FQ340
IM RUNNING WITH THE ORIGINAL 4POTS WITH MINTEX PADS AND MOTUL FLUID.
CUSCO ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION (HEIGHT AND CAMBER)

ALAN

DAVELEGACY

SORRY,FORGOT TO MENTION YOUR OPTION THERE ASWELL.

LADS FORGOT TO MENTION THE BUDGET ,OR LACK OF ONE, SO DONT GO MAD WITH THE SHOPPING TROLLEY AND VISA CARDS
ALAN

2.5 with a set of forged pistons would be the way to go. Mine ran happily at 400/400 with supporting turbo (might be able to help you there). Daves option if cost effective is another good option. Depends on the budget really. Remember although the 2.5 looks cheap you will need new oil pump/water pump/tbelt tensioners/head gaskets/clutch/remap/etc etc etc and will run into fair bucks too.
Oh and a version 3 isnt a closed deck engine....

Back