Under Bonnet Cleaning

Paddy scooby

Middle Lane Hogs
Can any one recommend a cleaning product for cleaing under the bonnet, and the fire wall, basically all the panels under the bonnet?

a damp soapy cloth then dry with another cloth doing a single area at a time dat way you avoid and trouble with a pressure hose, removables like caps lids etc can be scrubbed under a tap. hose can be cleaned with a wet cloth works best

Cheers lads, awh next good day I get ill give her a spring clean. A wee bit apprensive when it comes to the old power washers under the bonnet thoough. Think I might just use a bit of elbow grease and degreaser

Cheers

[quote author=Wrx ian link=topic=6122.msg110710#msg110710 date=1220524672]
Gunk is the way to go, best stuff ever
[/quote]

have to agree - need a toothbrush for the stubborn stuff though :thumbsup:

Lads I used a full can of that Gunk stuff last week and it cleaned about 20% of the dirt away. Admittedly I did not use a power hose to wash it away just a hose with running water.
Plus a week later and my car still stinks of the stuff when Im stopped at lights.

I used Gunk last week and was very impressed with the results!should have taking a before and after pic :wall: will be going over the bits i missed again it again tomorrow!

I leave the gunk sit for about 10-15 min and i buy the brush on stuff, my dad introduced me to it when i cleened his cars when i was a kid i only use the can for the hard to reach places. scrub and hose off, must upload a pic,

Hey Guys,, Get Pics Of your Clean Engine's Up, Even better get some BE FOR and AFTER pics Up.

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=6122.msg110753#msg110753 date=1220535427]
Lads I used a full can of that Gunk stuff last week and it cleaned about 20% of the dirt away. Admittedly I did not use a power hose to wash it away just a hose with running water.
Plus a week later and my car still stinks of the stuff when Im stopped at lights.
[/quote]

There's a spray that you just spray on and wipe with a cloth or brush - i think that's the stuff people are referring to here, not the one that you spray on and wash off with light power hose??

Maybe the Gunk didnt work for me because I didnt scrub it. I just sprayed it on and left it for 15 minutes then hoses it off. I try again :lol: :lol: :lol:

id a bottle of turtle wax engine cleaner last week and iv got a bottle of gunk now.
im just at it now.

autosmart do a great one called G101... been usin it for years, great for puttin bit in the bucket for washin rest of car too.. :thumbsup:

had the intercooler out recently and it made cleaning it and the pipework connected to it easier, there are also lots of areas under and around it that collect dirt and oil, especially around the primary turbo. i sprayed that gunk stuff on the parts i couldnt get to and then poured boiling water to wash it away. im goin to buy myself a cheap bench polisher/grinder soon and take all the brackets and nuts and bolts i can remove and give the whole bay a good clean and maybe paint some of the metal work.
i reckon it would take a good day to do and the parts i know im able to remove are as follows
airbox and ducting
intercooler and piping
battery and box
solinoid box
altenator and brackets
has anyone any suggestions on a colour to paint the removeable metalwork like the bracket that holds the intercooler and the brackets and tensioners or would i be better off just polishing them and leaving it at that. there is no rust on these parts just what looks like dirt and oxidization. if i polish these parts will i have to paint them or are they made from a metal that wont rust.
in this short vid ye can see the brackets and bits around the pulleys

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=6122.msg162533#msg162533 date=1235850763]
If me I would spray them black.
[/quote]

was thinkin the same andy....but i dont want to go with a mat black.......that looks like i didnt put any effort in, like when ye get a starter or an altenator back and the guy has sprayed it to make it look newer but still looks kack. i was thinkin a semi gloss black or a gun metal colour.

sorry about hijackin this thread...ive started a new one as ive a few more questions :whistle:

Just spray any de greaser on it and leave for a few minutes. Cover the alarm, fuse box and power hose away. Dont fire the jet straight into thed alternator housing thats all. Done it loads of times with no problems. Let it dry for a bit then start her up and let it idle for 10 mins or so to dry it out. Like i say i've had no problems doing it so far....... :thumbsup:

Back