Engine Backfiring

J

JohnyB

Background,

I knew when getting my DV fitted that the car would backfire, now taking into account that its a VTA-Value and I know that by having one can cause a problem with the air/fuel mix thus causing it to backfire

Question,

1. Can backfiring cause any major damage to the engine, as some of the bangs are REALLY LOUD, I know we all like a little bang at time's and every now and then a big bang :dance: , but when changing from 1st to 2nd at appox 2.5 - 3 rpm it sounds like a bomb has gone off .

2. Is A HKS SSQV a dual port Valve, and will they fit on a 98 classic.

Aside from that its great for scaring kids, grannies and dogs :evil: :headbanger: :subaru:

The HKS SSQV are designed not to mess with the cars air/fuel mixture. Thats the job of the dual chambers it has. The small chamber stays closed during idle and only the larger chamber opens to VTA. So you should not have a problem with back firing with a HKS SSQV. I have one and I dont.

What's happening is that your getting excess fuel in throttle over-run, as the MAF sensor has measured the air that dumped, and allowed a certain amount of fuel for that amount of air. A certain amount of this fuel wont burn in the cylinders so it ignites in the exhaust. Not good for turbo or CAT life, (or old granny's, small children etc)

John

thanks lads...dump valve for sale soon...and maybe a dog........

Back