It's Over For Eugene Donnelly

daveR

Petrolheads
Just heard this bad news :cry: :cry:

ROBBED FROM DONNELLY MOTORSPORT SITE:

IT'S OVER FOR EUGENE DONNELLY

07-Mar-08

Reigning Irish Tarmac Rally Champion, Eugene Donnelly will not be going for his record breaking fifth consecutive Tarmac title, and will therefore not be starting the Circuit of Ireland Rally at Easter.

The Maghera man and his Sligo co driver Paul Kiely have been trying desperately to secure the backing, which would allow them the chance of that fifth title. Indeed they struggled to get to the start of the opening round in Galway, and now Eugene admits that he will not be on the starting ramp in Newcastle at Easter.

"We have been really struggling to get a budget together, even from late last year, which had a difficult end. Then we had a deal fall through on us early this year, and since then it's been even more difficult, especially with the timescale involved, and companies budgets being allocated, to pull things together for the rest of the season. I've tried my best to keep the thing alive, but at this stage its simply just not working out for us."

With thirteen wins to date, a record four consecutive titles, and being the only driver to win each individual round of the series, since it's inception in 1978, Eugene has written his name into the Tarmac record books, but that chance of a fifth title now eludes him.

"I'm really disappointed that I'm missing a chance of a lifetime to go for a record fifth consecutive title, and therefore equal Austin MacHale's record of five tarmac titles. However that's life, and it just goes to show the dedication, determination, commitment and financial pressure that goes so much in hand with the sport nowadays."

Sponsorship is not the easiest avenue to secure for any driver, and even with Eugene's profile it's a difficult task.

"Sometimes it's hard to understand with the sheer amount of promotion and television that rallying gets, the profile being raised by Rally Ireland and the fact that we have some of the best rallying terrain in the world, why companies choose to pump money into less publicized sports? Across other parts of Europe rallying attracts huge sponsorship, but the support for competitors, and indeed events doesn't seem to be prevalent at home."

Despite the news however about 2008, Eugene is more than thankful for the recent seasons, where he has enjoyed some superb backing.

"I can't complain really, as I have had four or five great years with many great sponsors, and worked with great people running the cars. Right back from winning the Irish Forestry Championship in 2002, Northern Ireland Championship in 2003, through the tarmac titles, I've had a great career to date, and I feel very, very lucky to have had that. I really have enjoyed my rallying immensely over the past seasons and thanks to everyone involved."

Issued on behalf of Donnelly Motorsport by Andrew Bushe Promotions.

Looks like we won't be seein great moments like this ,,,,
bad form.
dow.jpg

Unfortunately that's the joy's of the sport.. it's expensiveeeeeeeee!
Hope he gets a sponsor sorted , he will be a big loss to the championship.javascript:void(0);

Thats a shame. The guy is on the verge of equalling/breaking records and nobody will sponsor him. What do the corporate big wigs be thinking?

Love the man n' all but Higgins is in an S12 all year with no group N rounds so id say he will wipe the floor. bad news for Donnelly and after the disaster with Reid it was always going to be hard to find backing

Your right there, as Higgins came from 26th to win Galway and McNulty had no more to give in his S11.

has any body used a sponsor that has advertised on a rally car eg reid transport for transporting anything its a very expensive and i would think unsuccessful way to advertise so the 'big wigs' have to clever about how they use their budget

i agree that donnolly is a great driver :worship: that not my point how many people know what :555: meant on subaru rally cars any look at the coverage it got what sort of return would someone get from advertising ?

its a sad day when a man of his calliber with all of his achievments in the sport cant get a sponser just wont be the same without him :cry:

Top flight budgets are gone mental, if you won the lotto you wouldn't have much change at the end of one year. bring back the MK11's and real rallying

its sad alright but they will have something sorted for next year

its a shame for the championship cause its effed now

tough luck alright but as legy c said higgins would have wiped the floor with him with a full run in an s12...

Back