cold starting

northdublin

Petrolheads
is there a procedure for cold starting a turbo car.....is it ok to drive it straight away and keep it under 2500 revs. when i start the leggy in the mornin and lightly rev it i can hear a noise like water or some other fluid swishing trough the engine. almost sounds like one of the fluids is low and there is not a constant flow. check the levels in the resevoirs that i can see and all seem fine. now on hard accelleration ive noticed that the fuel pump was gurgling and now and again it makes a clinking noise. are these related does anyone know or have an input. car also a little jumpy when cold but when up to temp runs great.

Start the car at least 5mins before you actually have to leave. Dont even drive it till it runs for a while. This is the procedure I have followed and never any bother. Dont know what the water sound thing is thou....?

try not to drive it cold i know sometimes your late etc..those sounds you here are normal..get your self a remote start..come out in the morning car is nice and toasty and safe to drive

I've read it's not good to leave the car idling for too long when warming it. The engine will be warm but other components will be cold, like the transmission.
I'd say leave it sitting for 1-2mins then drive easy till everything is at operating temp.
Not very practical in real life situations as you'll be holding up all the traffic on the road! :p

I always let mine run for about 5 mins in the morning and I'd try not boost at all until the car is completely warmed up...

Regards,
Steve

i let my legacy warm up every morning until the tempature needle hits the normal position...it takes about ten minutes....its a 92 so i dont take any chances with cold starts...better safe than sorry :thumbsup: :subaru:

Thats crazy stuff lads, get in and go just dont rev it hard or bring it on boost for about 10 minutes.

It takes longer than 10mins to get the oil to temp,and to me thats more important to get to temp than then water temp,so i let mine warm up 5mins before i go and wait till the oil temp has got to its correct operating temp before boosting...
The oil in any car is one of the most important things for the engine,hammering your car when the oil is not at temp... :doh:

I dont boost mine until the oil temp and pressure gauges show normal.

thanks for the replies lads. i start it and let it run for about 5 mins then i dont engage the turbo till the temp needle sits at the half way mark...which is where it stays. i have my turbo timer set to 40 seconds when i swich it off....unless ive been driving for a good while and i sit in it for 5 mins before switching it off. i like the idea of remote starting....is that compatable with my existing timer or would i need a whole differant unit. im looking at getting a gauge pod that sits in over the stereo in the redundant space where the sat nav is.......along with my existing boost gauge i wanted to install a oil temp and a water temp. is this dificult and are they readilly available for the ej20 engine in the b4. thanks again for the replies :thumbsup:

Installing a oil temp/pressure gauage is a great idea,and you can fit them to any car...
As for installing them,well pretty easy if ya know what ya doing...look in the how to section Andyc has a write up on how to install them.. :thumbsup:

[quote author=Scoobyke link=topic=5917.msg67543#msg67543 date=1204828432]
Installing a oil temp/pressure gauage is a great idea,and you can fit them to any car...
As for installing them,well pretty easy if ya know what ya doing...look in the how to section Andyc has a write up on how to install them.. :thumbsup:

its debatable wheather i know what im doin or not........but ied have a go anyway. :roll: havent really had the time to get the spanners near the car and have a good look but ill have a gander this weekend. i swear to christ the next gaf i get is goin to have a ramp.....even if its in the living room :evil:

Back