Gearbox issue

Zheiko

Octane Boostaholics
Hello,

so, my car was sitting for like 10 days without driving it as I was away, now that I have arrived, I took it for a drive yesterday, all good, except 4th gear felt a bit mushy and harder to engage, but I didnt pay attention to it, as I thought since I havent driven it for a while, it just feels weird.

Well today morning, it got way worse, and it is super difficult now to shift, as I need to push them gears really hard to engage them.

It works fine if I go 1-3-5 there is no resistance and it works just as previously, only when I am crossing the neutral up and down, thats when the issue happens, so going from 1st to 2nd is hard, 2-3 is hard 3-4 as well, and 4-5 too.

Any idea what this could be? what could the cause of this issue be?

Could be a clutch issue. Is it the same when warm and cold? Can you get all gears easily when engine is off?

thought it could be clutch, until I tried to shift with engine off without clutch - same result, 1-3-5 and 2-4-R will work fine, but going across the middle from 1-2 2-1 3-4 4-3 etc will cause the same issue.

Clutch has tops of 20k miles since its been changed. Also, wouldnt it be causing trouble changing gears even between 1-3-5?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Could be a shift fork. 1/2 run on one fork. 3/4 run on another and 5/6/R on another. Could be wrong on that, not 100% sure. I've ran into this problem in Opel in some Zafiras but never heard of it on a Subaru. It can be replaced but if it is a fork, it's an open box job.

Not trying to scare you and as a parts advisor, I never guess a problem. It just leads to getting the wrong part so go bite the bullet and go to a dealer. You could lose the use of 4th or be stuck in a gear eventually.

Could be a shift fork. 1/2 run on one fork. 3/4 run on another and 5/6/R on another. Could be wrong on that, not 100% sure. I've ran into this problem in Opel in some Zafiras but never heard of it on a Subaru. It can be replaced but if it is a fork, it's an open box job.

Not trying to scare you and as a parts advisor, I never guess a problem. It just leads to getting the wrong part so go bite the bullet and go to a dealer. You could lose the use of 4th or be stuck in a gear eventually.
Yea, guess that sounds like what it could be.. i knew the box needed to be open sooner or later, given the fackt that syngmchros on 1st and 4th gear were ****ed, but was hoping for it later than sooner. In current state I cant even think about mondello and need to get it sorted before mondello ..

Having said what I've said, I've come across about 3 cars in the last year that needed forks so not something that fails often.

Hahaha, issue sorted, and I am an Eeejit with capital E. All it was, was stupid shortshifter running out of lube and it seized on the bolt. A bit of oil and wiggle sorted it out. Gonna get some heavy duty vaseline tomorrow to put in to avoid similar thing happening again...
5600918a147e587ae6531695288bd19a.jpg

Happy days :54:
You have to lube the old girl from time to time. You cann't be just riding her in anger :roll:

Nice easy fix :thumbsup:

I have fitted 4 or 5 of theese short shift kits for lads on cars and to be honest there all shite, even the expensive fancy name ones . Buy an original short shift kit with the bar off set already as there a way better job :thumbsup:

I have prodrive one fitted in mine good solid feel from gear change have to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got prodrive too nice shift had aftermarket one just junk

Just a question is it part of maintaining to grease these or just left alone never heard of lubrication on them just has me thinking now

So, I was installing it myself, and as far as I remember, I didnt even think about lubricating it on the first place. I had this shifter for nearly two years when it seized. I am not sure how much could prodrive seize up like this or any other shifter, but one thing is clear:

Where the shifter is connected to the linkage, there is round hole in the aluminium through which goes stainless steel tube, through which goes the bolt itself that holds it all together. When we are talking about contact of metal on metal, as far as I know, basic rule is using lube, as the metals will eventually seize - and thats what I guess happened on first place with me.

Thing is, once it seized, there is no damage or anything, just unpleasant, so I wouldnt bother if I were you, once you feel your shifting goes hard, disassemble->lube->assemble back together and you are golden for another few years

I have this short shifter: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/EPMAN-Throw-...374276?hash=item360a7fb004:g:bnIAAOSw8gVX9Vlo

Last edited:
Sound just aloud good reply I see u back on the road seen u heading through town this morning [emoji106]

Back