Do You Have An Anti Lag Map? I Want To Know Your Opinion

bang

ISDC Club Member
Getting the car mapped next week and the mapper will do a switchable map with anti lag so being like a big kid I WANT IT!

But after reading a lot of posts I hear anti lag is quite bad on the turbo.

Some people claim its bad while others claim to run it with no issues albeit only occasionally.

Because I will have a switchable map I will rarely use it but I can see the benefits if I was to enter that Runway club event for example.

My car is pretty much a stock 2.5 WRX, but have a de cat and future upgrades are planned including upgrading the turbo to a VF43

(1) What I am really looking for is for members that have this or had it on their car running stock internals to share their experiences so that I can make a judgement on whether to continue on this course or maybe change tact to maybe a pops and bangs map instead.

(2) Also what modifications are required to safely run anti lag?

I have it on a 05 sti, it's done through the standard ecu so it's pretty mild but it's good for a few flames and a good few pops and bangs. I wasn't aware of how good it was until I was following my mate when he was drivin it. Think the main stories ye hear from lads blowin turbos and all is if they use an aftermarket ecu like the link or alcatek which is closer to propper antilag which prob would take its toll on a standard turbo. Bottom line is I have it now and I'd get it again even with an aftermarket ecu, my turbo did sh*t itself but was a different issue that caused it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Paul, appreciate your response. Hopefully further replies are as positive as yours :54:

can we ask who is mapping car for you . ?

how will your maps be switchable ? ie , process for switching between them ?

afaik , the ant lag on classics is more agressive than on newage

imo and general consesus imo is yes its bad for weaker turbos .

i have it on my own car on a switch in the cabin (alcatek ecu) , rarly use it , mostly for show or if i feel the need to smile .

i personally think pops and bangs would suit you better on a standard wrx

jus a thought , IF the turbo failed and spat bits inside , whole engine could need a build .

can we ask who is mapping car for you . ?

how will your maps be switchable ? ie , process for switching between them ?

afaik , the ant lag on classics is more agressive than on newage

imo and general consesus imo is yes its bad for weaker turbos .

i have it on my own car on a switch in the cabin (alcatek ecu) , rarly use it , mostly for show or if i feel the need to smile .

i personally think pops and bangs would suit you better on a standard wrx

jus a thought , IF the turbo failed and spat bits inside , whole engine could need a build .

TDP.ie are doing the map for me. I asked if it was possible on stock ecu and they confirmed that it was. Its only costing an extra €100 for the 2nd map so I may as well have a fun map

I would be interested to hear your experience from the mapping process from them as I'm planning a similar pathway for my car. Anti lag would be well class.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

get it mapped with a bit of over run so when you come off the power you'll get some pops n bangs :thumbsup:

having a 2.5 myself I'd always be cautious :thumbsup:

be careful, there is two ways anti lag can be done. The main is to spray extra fuel in the cylinders when you come off. The fuel rich mixture ignites in the hot turbo. The force from the explosion makes the turbine spin up. Two areas can get damaged. One the cylinders. Because you are spraying in more fuel than needed the cylinders get washed, in other words you now have a less oil lube. This will increase wear on the rings. Two the turbo hot side was not really built for explosions :) Housing will start getting cracks. turbine wheel on the tip of the blades gets destroyed

The other method of anti lag is to make the plugs firing point later when you come of the gas. With a little extra fuel and a late spark the ignition point is timed as the exhaust values are opening. Therefor you get a blast of hot gas been pushed out the cylinder which moves to the turbo and makes it spin up. This method is great for those hard acceleration from a rolling start. Plus its not hard on the header and turbo. Old school method of this was holding the brake pedal and pushing the gas peedle when rolling. That way the turbo spins up and you get a better pull from say 100km or 60km ......whatever

If it was me Id do it but use it very little as it is hard on the header, turbo, motor. Second option even has draw backs. Big heat on valves and head ports.

Last edited:
jasus do people still use tdp?

ap performance in galway is much better option and more realistic bhp figures

Is it getting twin maps as in one low boost and one high boost? Then antilag is on the high boost map only?if having twin maps, ideal is to have the likes of antilag and launch control not intrinsic and dependant on the map but rather on a switch and can be selected on either map. As Steve said above, there's a couple ways to map in overrun/pops and bangs/antilag.

Once it's done properly there's nothing too adverse other than replacing exhaust gaskets more often. If you're hard on your turbo, it's too aggressive or being over used.

In short, do it. I'd also be inclined to go with a different mapper.

OK firstly I was scared about the antilag and thankfully most of you are advising to do it. But now you have me scared to go to this mapper.

According to their website they map championship winning drift cars so sound like they know their stuff and have loads of screenshots of cars mapping results.

Problem is that I have already paid €100 deposit.

Thanks for all your replies anyway, appreciated.

Anyone have anything positive to say about tdp?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I found him good with rwd stuff. I also found out that depending on the mood of him that will be your map. My best advice to you personally is to go to AP performance. He is trusted with 90 percent of cars on here and I don't think anyone has anything bad to say. I would rather loose my deposit than loose my ass in trying to rebuild an engine just because of the map. I don't believe in slaying anyone's name but if you ask me on my opinion I'll give it.
Maybe someone has something good to say but my advice to you would be head west and get Mr power to map it.

what was the purpose of deposit ?

I'd understand if it was a UK mapper traveling over but can't see why he'd have taken a deposit

Don't know to be honest, just thought it was standard practice. AP performance also looked for a 50 deposit but the next date was the end of June, but just couldn't wait that long.

I've just been on their facebook page looking for any negative feedback and can't find any.

They seem to be travelling around Europe with drifting teams that they map and the only online feedback I could find was a boards post from Skyline owners swearing by them.

So maybe (or hopefully) the negative experiences I have been made aware of are in the past.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have anti lag on mine and as most lads will tell you i probably use it too much but I love it,it's done with my simtek ecu mapped for launch control as well,I'm still a big kid so it always makes me laugh when I flick the switch. It's the best thing I've ever had on a car full decat with a nur spec,I probably use it too much and so far I've cracked an up pipe ???????? you could as said get an over run map which will give pops and bangs when slowing down or dropping a gear,I had it on my first impreza and loved it,if I had the choice it would be anti lag every time but each to their own.
But yes I would agree with Dec it is hard on a car,if you were only going to use it an odd time be ok but like me would be too much and I'd be the first to admit it lol

Last edited:
Dont do it!!! Anti lag is hard on turbos and hard on engine and exhaust components you will never have a situation where you need Anti lag. As tommy said a bit of fuel on over run will give pops and bangs and hard nothing. Nurburgnoel here set fire to his car at the nurburgring from nothing else only over use of Anti lag

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Back