CPU understanding

dontommy

ISDC Club Member
PSU understanding

One for the tech heads. My PSU died and l got a replacement one. Now build my pc back 6 years ago(eternity in technologies) and things have changed. I was thinking that l will only swap around some cables(being modular PSU) but now they don't look the same at all:
1. Is 'pci-e' and 'vga' the same thing with different name? The pin count seems to be the same..
2. Is ATX now called MB?
3. The ATX has 2x12 pins but MB has only 2x9
MB probably stands for mainboard but why is less pins?
4. Also SATA was 1x5 pins and in the new is 2x3
I know about asking google but would be easier if someone just clarifies this
Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG3518.jpg
    IMAG3518.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
can't properly make out the pictures but to answer your questions

1. Is 'pci-e' and 'vga' the same thing with different name? The pin count seems to be the same..

Not *technically* the same, PCI Express is the newer, faster port used for modern high end video cards. VGA is the old old standard for video cards. So in PSU terms both those outputs are for video cards yes.

2. Is ATX now called MB?
Again, same but different. ATX is a specific size/format of motherboard (MB) - so yes this is for the motherboard.

3. The ATX has 2x12 pins but MB has only 2x9
MB probably stands for mainboard but why is less pins?
As time has passed, so has the standards for motherboard connections. Older setups would've had a single 20pin connector. More recent motherboards require a 24pin connector and a second 4pin connector from the PSU.

4. Also SATA was 1x5 pins and in the new is 2x3

Although the powersupplies are both modular - I wouldn't consider using the old connectors on the new supply, better to spend the extra time and use the cabling that you got with the new PSU to ensure proper operation.

Spot on buddy. Thanks for this. Much appreciated.
As for the VGA this is just the name EVGA come up with. Nothing to do with the old vga or at least this is what l dig out from google. Pity l cant go the lazy way without swapping cables :D

Quick update:
Reading saves lives or at least non existing funds. After wasting 2 hours to re-route new cables and fit new power supply turns out that its not the power supply. After l reading a bit online, and made the so called 'paperclip' test looks like my old psu is working fine. Its not the case and now looks like is the main-board. No light, no bip/pos nothing. Only thing left is to find a way to test the cpu. If the cpu is gone lm starting from $cratch ... and with 2x psu.
Sell the good parts thomas and buy yourself a laptop/tablet ...but no - you have to be oldschool akward lol

You are more than welcome Keith. You can hardly make it worse than it already is :roll:

Back