Under-sealing car?

duffmancb

Sunday Drivers
Want to get this done but its a fairly big job especially because i don't have access to a lift. Does anybody know of someone that offers this service in ireland and does a proper good job? if not does anybody know someone willing to rent out a lift?

Had a read of that advert...

Here's my two cents on the topic of under sealing cars:

1) Vital to get it done --- Right! Do it wrong and all you are doing is trapping moisture which in turn will make your car rust quicker and by the time you'd notice it coming through it will be detrimental and in a loads of places. My view: that is worse than not under coating it at all. The advert mentions a wash and then masking exhaust and then spray under seal coating, which amounts to exactly what should not be done (or better said it is about 1/4 of the task required) - and look at the price they charge too. It would cost that in material alone -- and then some depending on condition of car.

2) Doing it right means remove all old under seal. Dismantle all bits like shocks, sub-frames, exhaust, brake and fuel lines etc. Remove any and all rusty bits, weld in new metal if needed, and then full a chemical treatment to "convert" all rust back to metal (microscopic rust you can barely see but will if left untreated with the right chemicals will eat your car when enclosed in under seal). Wash - dry (like dry for minimum of 10 hours in a painter's booth)... prime it, then put on under seal coatings, and after that you could, as an option, paint it same colour as your car.

Under sealing is expensive to do right... if the car is in good nick to start with you are talking in the region of 30-40 hours labour plus materials (or €2,000 at reasonable rates). If the car has trouble areas... you can add 40-80-200 hrs (whatever amount of hours it will take and really zero point doing the job at all unless it was done correctly).

BTW: for anyone who doesn't know me well -- I do NOT provide this service lol (but have in the past worked in a body repair shop and am not far off in what I wrote above).

Personally I would not recommend anyone to waste their money on a "cheap blast it over with under seal job"... it is money down the drain and will cause (worse) issues down the road...

Hope the above helps... It might not be what the OP was hoping for cost wise, but better to be properly informed.

Last edited:
It's a huge undertaking
Ciaran in asd did ciarans car
Has a gig that rolls the car over on its side stripped everything and glass beed blasted it back to steel then used all manner of stuff to get the end results
I'll be doing my own come this winter all going well it will be off the road for a good while when it's getting done
As above that spray on cheap stuff is nasty stuff and holds in moisture and never let's the car dry out and it will rot faster ....your better off with nothing and just blast it every few weeks .
Get a Lance for you power washer in kacher with a 90 degree bend and power wash it to remove crap you can get heavy duty salt remover to help the prosess.
Great video on you tube of a BMW getting done in the UK but they charge min 6K Sterling for the job ....I'll try find it it's worth the watch.

An expensive job if done right.

I gather Ciaran in ASD won't be doing this sort of work again, as it's hugely labour intensive. A bad experience for him too whereby he wan't paid in full for the work he did, has soured the idea of doing any further under-body restorations. Shame too, as he's the most thorough with an exceptional attention to detail.

If you've the space... some large axle stands... and a lot of patience - it can be a DIY job.

its a huge job to do right, and in saying that from my investigations, it can't be done right. i was watching one of the car rebuild shows once and a car had been acid dipped(rust, fillers, paint etc gone). they then had to put an outer sill on, when he removed the sill panel there was lots of rust in the join where it was spot welded. i used a commercial rust remover dip to test pieces of rusty car body. it had no issue removing the visable rust, but when i drilled the spot welds and split the panels, the rust had not been penitrated and remained untouched. bottom line, unless you get a very tidy import or such, and do a really good strip and seal, you most likely at some stage will have rust issues.
in saying that, at the rate the grit(we'll just call it that, although they use others) the council are using is destroying cars, people need to take preventative measures sooner rather than later.
i personally won't do another, but i might rent the equipment to club memebers if they feel they are up to the task, but be warned, to do right depending on the scale of the issue, its a long job.

Back