Sg5 forester MIL

Davidk92

Sunday Drivers
Okay had my nct the other day on my sg5 forester xt. It failed on 3 visuals one which was simple but the tester also failed it on the ABS and Airbag malfunction indicator lamp.
My understanding is that when the come on and go off after 2-5 seconds after the car is turned on first then they work fine?
Anyone shed some light on this?

Okay had my nct the other day on my sg5 forester xt. It failed on 3 visuals one which was simple but the tester also failed it on the ABS and Airbag malfunction indicator lamp.
My understanding is that when the come on and go off after 2-5 seconds after the car is turned on first then they work fine?
Anyone shed some light on this?

As for the Airbag lamp, if it's always on, check the connector under the driver's seat. It is so brilliantly positioned that every time you move the seat back to maximum, it unplugs by itself. If it doesn't light up on the ACC, then replace the lamp or check if it is there, someone before you could have fixed the "lamp always on" by removing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is your airbag light going out after 2/5 second or is it staying on ........what I got from your post is it's going off after 5 second if so I think your tester has it wrong.

how do you clean airbag error codes, would the battery off over a night sort it?

as far as I know the airbag system does a self test every startup so if the problem is resolved the light should go out the next time you start the car no need to clear codes unless it's had a bag deployment.

as far as I know the airbag system does a self test every startup so if the problem is resolved the light should go out the next time you start the car no need to clear codes unless it's had a bag deployment.
Correct. 6 secs

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yeah I think It was the tester not having a clue what he was looking at or else got confused by the turbo timer.
The airbag light and abs lights both come on and then go off again once it's turned on.
I've scanned it with an obd scanner and there's no faults either

My airbag light is staying on, I can turn it off but then it comes on with any sort of sudden jolt in the body while driving. Really annoying. It only happened in my blob.

Did you get bag recall done Eanna?

Just thought of it there

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That answers that question. There was nothing wrong with them at all just the testers fault. Thanks for the help

Back