What mods?

Not expert on classics but you will be pushing the limits of the gearbox at that power

Downpipe/exhaust system
Good Panel filter
Fuel pump
Good remap, probually need an ECU on a 1996 (I used to have an apexi FC)
These will get you most of the way there.

i have apexi ecu, td05 turbo, not sure bout pump and injectors yet but will check it out,
also have straight through apexi n1 exhaust and hks boost controller. this is all stuff the previous owner did. looks like i
have a most of the bits to get me good power..

Imo well sorted classic with 300bhp is plenty fast.
Dont forget to start it the right way with good brakes, tires and suspension before going chasing power :54:

As above. Dont get overly too hooked on figures.

A sharp responding 325bhp will feel better then a laggy 350bhp.

But yes as above.

Fmic, td0518g, injectors, fuel reg. Fuel pump, exedy pink box clutch and would say ditch apexi for esl and map speed density to get rid of maf. And upgrade to motorsport pack with anti lag and launch control.

And after all that cross fingers engine and box hold together for a while.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I will defo go for brakes and suspension first, just trying to get an idea of whats needed.
There is also an apexi fmic on the car but I am not a fan of them so I am gona fit the sti8 top mount onto it
which I received today. This intercooler would be fine for 325bhp?

I will defo go for brakes and suspension first, just trying to get an idea of whats needed.
There is also an apexi fmic on the car but I am not a fan of them so I am gona fit the sti8 top mount onto it
which I received today. This intercooler would be fine for 325bhp?
a32cb0014fdec525d04caf64afd9206d.jpg

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Just my 2 cents:

Had a similar age STI...
It had a VF23 turbo on it, 2.5" turbo back H&S exhaust, uprated fuel pump and a Motec M800 ECU with a quality tune... around the 320bhp and 300lbs/ft mark... and a very fast car (as fast or faster than my current 2.5 STI running 325bhp-397lbs/ft).

Mine was very responsive and very "eager" feeling... and never felt it was "under-powered"... and did not have to worry about gearbox etc. Also, Dave is right... you want a responsive car as it will be much nicer to drive.

Unless you want to spend big money to do engine / gearbox work etc (to beef things up to be reliable at the power you mentioned), then maybe use what you have (fuel pump and injectors being ok that is)... and you will see similar power as my v3 STI had and trust me... it is pretty quick at that level! So quick in fact you will want to uprate the WRX brakes (even the STI brakes from that era could do with an upgrade at that power level and deffo above it) and some suspension mods etc.

You will see a little more lag with fmic, especially on the earlier cars that do not have the variable valve timing etc to help tune around the lag a bit... but a fmic will see higher power and less heat soak issues. If you are switching to the new age tmic then make sure you get the tray etc to go with that IC. Without it you will heat soak quicker and not get as much cooling as the (cold) air is not directed through the bigger IC. Also keep in mind that the classic scoop is smaller too, so you will not see the same headline performance out of that IC, even with the right tray, as you would on a new age (with the bigger scoop).

All that said, mine ran with an oem classic STI IC and was fine... Your turbo is suitably big, so won't generate big heat at normal boost levels like 1.2-1.3 required for that power level... So do not get too hung up about it.

Agree with all the above

But the fmic and lag quotes.

I think anyone saying that ( so not personal or directed at anyone)

Needs for a good enough opinion. To have been in and drove multiple set ups.

thanks for all the replies lads, learning a lot as I go. as regards brakes it has sti ones from that era.
But probably still could do with better.
Its funny with this car, cause with all this stuff done to it, my previous Subaru v2 sti engine was a way more responsive car which I loved driving. I wouldn't be too bothered on figures and all that. I just want a car I enjoy driving.

@ Keadeen With the intercooler when you say tray I am kinda lost as to what you mean?

Agree with all the above

When I upgraded to front mounts on the S3 and focus ST, it was slightly noticeable with more lag.
Using the same turbo etc

Agree with all the above

When I upgraded to front mounts on the S3 and focus ST, it was slightly noticeable with more lag.
Using the same turbo etc
Ok

So "NOT" Subaru related

Back