Legacy B4 Oil filter Advice

lark82

So as the title states looking for some advice. Spoke to the local Subaru dealer regarding getting a genuine filter as my mechanic will not change the oil unless its a genuine filter. Apparently the aftermarket ones dont hold the pressure right which is fair enough.

Thing is they are looking for and I quote "€50 - €60"

Is this about right, if it is fair enough, its not like I bought a cheap car. At the same token I dont want to be ripped off.

Thanks in advance. :ponder:

Edit: B4 Twin Turbo '00 model.

Last edited:
Insane.
Get Knecht/Mahle or Mann. They are OEM at most German cars. I used Knecht everywhere.
Really, none of the car manufacturers produce filters. Knecht number must be OC195. Mann W67/1, Hengst H97W06.
Renault, Nissan and Mazda use the same filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 quid all in i paid for mine blue subaru filter not sure if its the same

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments thus far. I Originally called Dermot Healy in Killarney and was quote the above price. Following the comments I have just called Denis Mary Ryan in Bishopstown Co.Cork and immediately quoted €15 including sump ring.

Like I said I don't mind paying to keep the car right but that is utterly ridiculous. a blatant rip off. Thanks for the comments guys !! Looks like I'll be looking into getting an ISDC membership!!!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments thus far. I Originally called Dermot Healy in Killarney and was quote the above price. Following the comments I have just called Denis Mary Ryan in Bishopstown Co.Cork and immediately quoted €15 including sump ring.

Like I said I don't mind paying to keep the car right but that is utterly ridiculous. a blatant rip off. Thanks for the comments guys !! Looks like I'll be looking into getting an ISDC membership!!!

Just for the record: all filters come with the ring

would be normal price with oil exchange not just filter. Genuine Subaru Black or Blue is the common way but some say that motor factor stuff is good enough. Also I would stock up on the for a future convenience :54:

e6350073f639a6ca8fe97bdf93aec667.jpg

Just to compare

Maybe Subaru do.
But not all filters come with a sump washer.

Maybe chinese ones don't. I don't consider those as an option.
In 3 years in a parts shop I haven't sold a single filter without an oil ring.
I don't know what you mean by washer. For me it's a piece of metal, which goes under the nut or bolt head.
And yes, washers for drain plug go separately

Last edited:
Maybe chinese ones don't. I don't consider those as an option.
In 3 years in a parts shop I haven't sold a single filter without an oil ring.
I don't know what you mean by washer. For me it's a piece of metal, which goes under the nut or bolt head.
And yes, washers for drain plug go separately

Sump washer/ring I think he was talking about......

If a filter had no rubber ring on it I'd be very worried!

would be normal price with oil exchange not just filter. Genuine Subaru Black or Blue is the common way but some say that motor factor stuff is good enough. Also I would stock up on the for a future convenience :54:
I had considered getting 2 alright !!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I would think the dealer may have quoted you for a auto trans filter maybe.

In stock

Genuine Subaru JDM "Black" filter €12.95

Mahle €8.95

Genuine Subaru Drain Bung Washer €1.85

I would think the dealer may have quoted you for a auto trans filter maybe.

In stock

Genuine Subaru JDM "Black" filter €12.95

Mahle €8.95

Genuine Subaru Drain Bung Washer €1.85

Not sure, I did describe car in detail, making sure to mention it was a Japanese import etc. When I sound surprised at the price and stated to the fact, i was met with " yeah these things have gone crazy expensive "

Not sure, I did describe car in detail, making sure to mention it was a Japanese import etc. When I sound surprised at the price and stated to the fact, i was met with " yeah these things have gone crazy expensive "

Oh, I see the problem.
Taking advantage of the person who doesn't know that almost all subarus have the same filter, and could believe that the fact of the import, two chargers and whatever else feature you described, triples the price.

Oh, I see the problem.
Taking advantage of the person who doesn't know that almost all subarus have the same filter, and could believe that the fact of the import, two chargers and whatever else feature you described, triples the price.

Thats a pretty negitive attitude.

Dont know the dealer in question. But prices are stored on the system via Subaru Ireland. So no. I dont believe they just randomly made up a price.

davelegacy[emoji769 said:
;553004]Thats a pretty negitive attitude.

Dont know the dealer in question. But prices are stored on the system via Subaru Ireland. So no. I dont believe they just randomly made up a price.

So, only insurers do it here?
In Russia parts sellers and dealers can sell parts and services times more than they cost, judging by how technically literate the client is.

I have seen so many ridiculous quotes, like the girl with a Corsa for the 1st oil service was given a list of things to be done and paid for, including 10litres of transmission oil for robotized gearbox (-it's an MT+wires, if someone doesn't know); another one got 2 Webastos in one quote, written with different words for Disco 3.
Men usually get doubled number of bolts and things not so obvious.
I looked at the maintenance papers of my last Russian Outback, 2011. They really wrote that they changed transmission oil (which must be checked at 90.000), brake fluid (normally replaced once in 2 years), coolant (11years) and lamps at every inspection.

Back