1999 B4 Legacy rough idle and no power

Shane_B4

Sunday Drivers
OK guys..thought the up and down idle was the MAF sensor and was going getting one but a mate bought a b4 and tried his MAF which is working and still the same problem. I have roughly checked vaccum pipes and all seem to be OK. .had spark plugs replaced aswell
Don't have a clue where to go from here.
As soon as you start the car the idle goes up to normal and then starts to fall until car dies out. It will stay going if you give it a bit of a rev but if you leave the car to idle it will conk.
Car has no power and barely able to drive
Any ideas or help would be great

Can you give more info

Was the car running grand before?
Have you done anything to the car?
Did this happen while driving?
Have you taken one spark plug lead off and start it to see any difference on #1_4.

Do you get a Subaru mechanic to look at it yet?

All this will help get you an answer

Can you give more info

Was the car running grand before?
Have you done anything to the car?
Did this happen while driving?
Have you taken one spark plug lead off and start it to see any difference on #1_4.

Do you get a Subaru mechanic to look at it yet?

All this will help get you an answer
The car was grand and was parked up for a few months during that time the only thing that was done was the intercooler was took off to be resprayed and had 2 vaccum hoses off and replaced.
I haven't removed leads yet to check each one but should get around to it tomorrow morning...

Could the petrol be gone off or any water get into it?

I would double check the work you have done with the intercooler and pupe work.

Is the pipe work you replaced the same diameter pipe work

if its primarily effecting idle then you could be looking at IACV which is common enough.
have you tried adjusting the idle screw and also throttle cable?

if its primarily effecting idle then you could be looking at IACV which is common enough.
have you tried adjusting the idle screw and also throttle cable?

Don't think the isle air control valve would affect the power problem though, my iacv was faulty but the car drove fine just erratic idling.

davelegacy[emoji769 said:
;552765]Air filter or fuel filter issue is likely hood of zero to none

Something choking the engine of course could be an oxygen sensor, or a potato in the exhaust. But potato would be killing the engine at any conditions.

If he has a fuel meter, he could check. Filter is cheaper.

Looks pretty much like the fuel filter. Especially knowing how often people neglect changing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Car went off on the back of a low loader the other day because I was at a loss. So hopefully he can get to the bottom of it. Thanks for all the help lads... I done the fuel filter yesterday and a new air filter checked over all the work I had done in the engine bay and nothing.

Back