impreza help

marksscooby

Petrolheads
hi all,

bought my impreza type r coupe 98 yesterday :) i asked the owner had he the timing belt changed he said it was but he had no receipt how can i take his word for it :ponder:
there is 82,000 kms on the car every oil is changed in it oil filter engine oil, etc. is there any way of checking it was done there is nothing written on the cover

dont know what to do :dunno: if i had to change it how much would it cost for timing belt and tensioners :ponder:

delighted i bought a impreza coupe :dance: :subaru:

thanks from mark :thumbsup:

Mileage written on timing belt covers normally indicate the mileage that the belt was last changed at :eek:mg:
Are you sure this only has 82k on it? Any other signs of excessive wear on gear knob, steering wheel, pedal rubbers?

You could get a mechanic to have a look at the belt to see is there any signs of wear.

However if in doubt I'd suggest you get it done now, along with whatever else needs doing at the time, tensioners etc.
Much cheaper than a possible rebuild :thumbsup:

imo the no1 rule in buying a 2nd hand car is to do the timing belt yourself

car will not pass nct with anything but road legal tyres.

japanese sticker is suspect imo

:thumbsup:

you can take the timing covers off and see if its a fresh belt and tensioner.....

let me know if you want it checked...

thanks dave :) fook it any way if it dont pass the nct with competion tyres only written on them because i am changing them alloys and tyres :roll: will it pass with the number plate in the pic above or will i have to get new plates :ponder:

checked the timing belt and tensioners they look new and there is white line marking where the belt needs to be lined up :thumbsup:

That label on the timing belt cover is when the belt was changed in Japland. I have the same on my car and checked it out

Perhaps the car was clocked....? Just putting it out there, it wouldnt be the first car to be clocked.
Hope not, lovely looking car you got there lad

thanks paddy scooby :thumbsup:

its only in from japan since april he was the first owner in ireland so im the second owner, so he had just insurance on the car with no tax or nct because he has trade insurance

The reg plates will fail if you dont have the Irish name of the registered county on it. From the picture of the rear reg plate it doesnt look like it has the county in Irish on it.

Also, if it were me I would get belt and tensionors done without hesitation. I wouldnt take anybodies word without a receipt for the work.

Mark,

Take my word for it. Spend the money to get the belt AND the tensioners done. I bought my car back in November, the belt had definitely been changed 10K back (confirmed by Carroll & Roche), but the tensioners obviously weren't, and the belt broke. I'm still waiting to see how much damage there is to the engine.

It will cost a bit, but is definitely cheaper than a rebuild.

Lynne

Mark!i do beleive your from the same neck of the woods as myself???

Must take a spin in that some day :D :D

Well wear :thumbsup:

Back