Reverse gear

N

Norris!

thanks for clicking lads :thumbsup:

ok, so every time i go to select reverse its a "cant find it grind it :doh:" moment, the box wont slow quick enough to let me select it without the crunch, it takes at least 7-8 seconds for it to slow down and even at that i can feel the gears grinding off each other to slow down, kind of anoying, is it normal for this to be happening?

[move]nice one lads![/move]

Happens all subarus. Just get into the habit when you need reverse going 2nd gear then reverse. Trust me.

hi norris,
dave is spot on there all subarus are the same (some are worse than others) hs dead right just go into 2nd every time before you want to go into reverse and you shouldnt have any more grinding. i kow theres nithing more embarrassin than pulling in to a car park in your flash subaru nd while everyone is looking grind into reverse to every one laughing at ya. :oops: has happened to me a couple of times in the past before i got used to hittin second before hand now its just like 2nd nature!! hope this helps

regards George :subaru:

Hahaha - I thought it was just me and my 11 year old Scooby creaking and groaning under the pressure of old age. Maybe the gearbox isn't going after all? Phew!

as george says. Its second nature now. And even when i'm in other cars i do it... 2nd reverse....
You can also sometimes find sticky 1st gear.. a 2nd into 1st also cures this!!!!!

You owe me e547 euro now for the advice!!

Ok, I want a bit more value for my €547.00 :D What gearbox oil should I be using, I reckon it must be due a change... recommendations please?

Thanks!

Paulo

main dealers use motul which isnt a bad choice. i use elf gl5 fully synthetic competition spec oil which is a slightly higher spec and being fully synthetic only really needs to be changed every 15000 miles or so. hope this helps paulo

"main dealers use motul which isnt a bad choice. i use elf gl5 fully synthetic competition spec oil which is a slightly higher spec and being fully synthetic only really needs to be changed every 15000 miles or so. hope this helps paulo"

How often are you mean't to change the gearbox oil normally ???

hi mack, it depends on what kind of driving youre doing if your giving it the welly most of the time you should really change it every 2 services or so which would be every 6000 miles. but the elf comp spec can be left for around 15000. again service intervals all depend on driving conditions and how you want to keep your car. you would most likely get away with 9000 mile services if using elf comp st engine oil, but as most of us think these are special cars and can only be good to service much more frequently. i personally service my car every 3000 or so and gear oil every 3rd service. i know i could get longer between intervals but its only good to have fresh oil in her all the time. one indication is your gearbox oil should be totally clear like water in colour if it has any kind of colour in it then it badly needs to be changed.

regards george

wehay! it works! second . . reverse . . second . . reverse . . second . . reverse . . .

thanks mate!

Hey Norris,
I had same scare going from 01 WRX (bugeye)
to 99 TypeR never had any probs like that with the WRX.

I find reverse and sometimes first can be a prob but i simply release
the clutch and re - press it problem solved and maybe a tad easier than ( 2nd - reverse) :dunno:

Niall.

ah, the second - reverse thing is already second nature! caurse i didnt doubt you Dave! mearly testing you :)

Back