So is my head gasket gone and how much for repair?

llcoolmac

Hello, I got a nasty surprise on my way home tonight.I noticed a bit of tiny bit of steam coming from the scoop when I pulled in about 5 mins after starting. I thought it was just because of the cold weather and drove on after checking the temperature. After another 5 mins, the temp started rising rapidly. I pulled in and there was a lot of steam from the engine. I checked the coolant and it looked low but took less than 1 litre to bring it to the brim so it wasn't that low.

Looked under radiator cap and there was some white scum inside. I know I should have checked the oil cap but wasn't really thinking straight as it was pissing down and I had no proper light.

I'm pretty sure it's the head gasket unless anyone can suggest any other causes. If it is what cost am I looking at for repair.

Car: 2006 Forester 2.5 XT.

Hello, I got a nasty surprise on my way home tonight.I noticed a bit of tiny bit of steam coming from the scoop when I pulled in about 5 mins after starting. I thought it was just because of the cold weather and drove on after checking the temperature. After another 5 mins, the temp started rising rapidly. I pulled in and there was a lot of steam from the engine. I checked the coolant and it looked low but took less than 1 litre to bring it to the brim so it wasn't that low.

Looked under radiator cap and there was some white scum inside. I know I should have checked the oil cap but wasn't really thinking straight as it was pissing down and I had no proper light.

I'm pretty sure it's the head gasket unless anyone can suggest any other causes. If it is what cost am I looking at for repair.

Car: 2006 Forester 2.5 XT.

It better be a gasket than a crack in the head or overheated head.

Rough Cost wise providing everything is useable as in no damage your looking at removal,strip ,skim ,gaskets , head studs , timing belt and refit engine etc etc your looking at somewhere roughly between 1700/2500

Correct way is to strip block and also get skimmed.

Pointless having a perfect skimmed head on one side of gasket and potential warped block on other side.

A renewal of piston rings and engine bearings at this point also

in an ideal world full rebuild would be great and the best option but it depends on the budget . if he just wants to get back in on the road with minimal costs and as Said above if rest of parts check out then it would be his cheapest option

I understand budget always comes into play.

But on that basis there would be no point skimming the heads.

Thanks for the replies lads. Very helpful. She is fecked alright. Its not mixing oil but its pressurizing the system immediately from cold and and blew the coolant out the top of the radiator. My mechanic said he said he doesn't want to do it which is fair enough as he has never worked on one.

I'd imagine that the head is cracked which could be very expensive to replace on top of all the other bits? Having looked through the extensive service history, the car has already had €10k of repairs done over its life time. I'd be afraid i would just be throwing good money after bad with an engine rebuild.

Replacement engine the best option? Would the 2.0 and 2.5 both fit?

Coming from 3 faultless Alfa Romeos this is most frustrating.

Are the gear boxes, diffs, etc strong on these? What other major mechanical issues could rear their heads at 130k miles. The car has been maintained so well from new it really has surprised me.

I dont mind spending money if I am sure I will have something good to show for it at the end.

Last edited:
imo its not worth fixing unless it very low miles and everything else on the car is mint,

at the end of the day there going for around the 5 grand make in good condition, nodoby wants them because of the 2.5 and tax.

its going to cost nearly that again to fix it if you go down the ruth of a rebuild which is been advised if your going to fix it.

if i was you id trade it in against a nice alfa

With a 2.5 replacement you are running the gauntlet on the same thing happening again, as many have head gasket issues.

For the cost of an unknown replacement you would be a long way towards properly fixing yours (which includes better head studs and gasket to prevent a repeat). It of course all depends on where or not your current heads are still ok to use. Either way the engine has to come out (whether fixing or replacing) and taking the heads off to inspect is worth the bother at that point compared to just getting another engine.

A 2.0 would be stronger and relatively hassle free compared to the 2.5 (but you will loose all that lovely low down torque).
It will fit, but will need ECU remap and probably some minor wiring changes.
It all adds up too and back to same, or more, money as just properly fixing what you have.

Best to talk to someone like Dave at RSR (he commented below) or Ciaran Larkin.

A 2L wont work as different wiring to cam sensors etc.

Head would be fine imo.

You could fit 2L block with your heads. Although will loose some torque. You can legally change back to 2L tax bracket.

Many options.

Call me if want to discuss. 085 7715 343

In light of Johnny's (Duffman) post, as he makes a fair point...

>> minimum cost in labour and head gasket / studs / skim is around the €2,000 mark as per Joe's (Scoobysub) post.

So the question then is whether you want to chance spending two grand to get back motoring...

or 3,500-4000 to build a really strong motor and up the power at the same time...

or cut your loses and trade her (any garage worth their salt will spot the gasket issues and you'd be lucky to get a grand on trade in probably).

Well, I'll put it this way. I have just done the timing belt, I fitted 4 brand new Bridgestone tyres about 2,000km ago and taxed it for the year at the start of the month. The car is in very good condition but not mint, but much better than most of the other ones I looked at at the time.

I do think it is a cracking car and with the expense I have just gone to i'd like to keep it if its any way economical to do so. Id imagine its trade in value in its current state is very low. Would I even get €1000 for it?

After what you spent, and if you like the car... I'd fix it.

Yes you'd probably get a grand off any 2008 or newer car you trade it against... but you just sunk a grand in tax alone... plus tyres and timingbelt etc.

So, yes, it's another €2000, but then you know what you have (provided you do skim heads/blocks properly and would consider changing bearings too as often go a few months after gasket blew and in the bigger scheme of things not that much extra to do).

Also if done properly not only will it be ok as it will have cured the issues it left the factory with that caused the gasket failure... but also means you will be able sell it on easier down the road as would have documented proof that you fixed that common problem.

Others may have a different view... but that is what I would do in your situation.

If you like the car fix it and enjoy it

None of our cars make sence when we add up what dollars we have "really" spent on em

Best if luck on ur decision ????

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Subarus don't make any finanicial.sence, end of.

If you love the forester and intend to keep it do a engine rebuild but IT WILL cost you more than it is worth, otherwise sell now and cut your losses, ????

if no of sentimental value you better get rid of. You will never see those money back

Back