is a full decat with Nur Spec exhaust OTT loud???

brianp

Sunday Drivers
right im after a decent system for my 97 type R,if anyone is in the know...personally i havnt heard a Nur Spec in the flesh,
Even with the bung,does it become unbearable on motorways etc??

cheers

right im after a decent system for my 97 type R,if anyone is in the know...personally i havnt heard a Nur Spec in the flesh,
Even with the bung,does it become unbearable on motorways etc??

cheers

I have one and my car isn't decatted and I personally wouldn't fancy a long motorway spin in it, that said, I've yet to put the bung in. Amazing sound though :) defo worth the headache. Also mine is a wagon so bit louder with the boot floor being open to the cabin. Welcome to have a listen some day if in cork area.

dont have the same backbox, but I do have decated exhaust, that is fairly loud. On motorway, as a driver, I dont care, but others were complaining about headaches.

Decat will bring awesome rough sound out, but I would probably not connect it to something as big as nur spec.

anyways, found you video here, but its hard to judge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlu5BGYgS_s

I've an RCM de cat and full Nur Spec R on my new age, sounds savage in my opinion.

The fact you are asking is it noisy for yourself, I'd say it is judging by your questions.
Anywhere from 3-7 rpm I get people on paths stopping and doing that stare of anger and fright!

Motorways is a really loud drone too, just about hear the radio.
Your car could be different though.

Think Graham is spot on .....if you asking the question then I'd say it's gonna be2 much
I loved the noise years ago but as I got older I didn't but everyone is different.
Meet up with some lads at meets and have a go in there cars see what you think because it's a lot of money to be spending if your not sure

Louder the better. I have a HKS back box and de-res mid section in my N/A and passengers complain lol. Louder the better.

"I get people on paths stopping and doing that stare of anger and fright"

i think that says all i need to know,cheers guys,i wonder what the rcm/nur spec would be like bunged 100-120db...more even?
....any other more subtle alternatives?
somewhere in the middle and id be happy,i dont want no scooter either :)

Keith is right... only way to know is to meet up with lads and see what they have and how you like it.

It IS a lot of money - especially when you are not happy with the result.

I had a sports cat with single resonated mid section and backbox from H&S on my classic and though it was perfect.

I have a sports cat with single resonated mid section and backbox from Cobra Sports on my Hawk - and although it is fine and wouldn't bother changing it... in hindsight would have gone for a double resonated mid section for that car. It is perfect most of the time, but too "droney" (I know I made up that word lol) on the motorway (and the 2nd resonator would have cured that).

With other words... if listening to other cars... you need to hear it when driven in different scenarios... like pulls, but especially also motorway steady 100-120 kph runs.

Iv had a full nur spec r and decat on my last two imprezas and once the bung is in there fine bung out is mental loud

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

If you drive around with the bung in and decide to give it some beans would it not cause back pressure and cause all sorts of problems I only use mine for nct time

"I get people on paths stopping and doing that stare of anger and fright"

i think that says all i need to know,cheers guys,i wonder what the rcm/nur spec would be like bunged 100-120db...more even?
....any other more subtle alternatives?
somewhere in the middle and id be happy,i dont want no scooter either :)

The bung quietens it down a big lot but lads reckon it is not good for back pressure.
Not sure on that though.
I had the bung in mine for a good while giving it the beans and no issues.

The only other system I can speak of is the zero/sports full system, that's nice and tame but gets to a nice normal loud level pushing on.
Expensive though too.

I like the miltek I have on mine . relatively quiet off boost but has a nice bark off it when opened up .

I like the miltek I have on mine . relatively quiet off boost but has a nice bark off it when opened up .
The best combination, can drive past checkpoint without raising any suspicions, as soon as I get behind corner, just step on it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Full 3inch Sports catted Rcm

Quite ish compared to the Decat cars

good rumble

Like it alot

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
yeah i was wondering how much the bung would restrict flow,if the intention was to have it in more times then not...well probably defeats the purpose of getting such a well made exhaust to restrict flow the other end,

i think your right boys,im going to have to crash a meet one of the days and check out what guys are running,seems like i havnt seen a type R on the road down my way in 3years i cant compare sh*t anymore :(

I have a decat on my classic with a nur spec with anti lag which is used all the time and I love but then I haven't realised it's too loud lol

Where do you live?
I can bring you for a spin in mine or let you listen to it....
I've different manifolds though, not sure if it makes much difference?

It's loud I reckon either way.
Have video of track day too but I don't do the internet!!!

She's got the full window! :)

Back