2004 WRX Blobeye gear change problem

MLC

Sunday Drivers
Folks, I’d appreciate your input on this problem. My Impreza is off the road at the moment with a gearbox problem and I need to make some decisions on what to do next. It’s a 2004 Blobeye WRX, so 5-speed box.

Symptoms
  • The gear change was somewhat “notchy” when I bought the car a few months ago, most noticeably when going into 1st gear or reverse. But it was nothing alarming, the car was driving fine and I just assumed it was a characteristic of this particular gearbox.
  • However, shifting has become much more difficult in recent days. When parked, the gear shift is now very sticky. It will come out of a gear and into neutral without difficulty but won’t go into another gear easily or at all.
  • When driving, the problem is less severe but the gear change is still very notchy and requires excessive force. Something has gone amiss.
  • When depressing the clutch pedal during a gear change, I can feel slight vibration through the pedal. This only started at the same time that the shifting became more difficult.

Other info
  • It’s still on the original clutch.
  • The clutch operation seems normal when pulling away from a standstill in 1st gear (apart from the slight vibration through the pedal). The bite point is about midway through the pedal travel, as it should be, and there is no juddering or unusual noise.
  • The mileage is currently 105,000 (miles). Gearbox oil was last changed at 76,000 miles (in 2012). The recommended interval is every 38,000 miles or 4 years, so it’s due a change this year (or no later than 114,000 miles).
  • The gearbox oil is at the correct level and looks very clean, at least on the dipstick.
  • The engine is totally standard and has never been touched, so the gearbox isn’t struggling to deal with more power than it was designed for.
  • I haven't been launching the car or otherwise abusing the transmission. To the best of my knowledge, the car was well looked after by the previous owner, who had it for 9 years.

What next?
If possible, I’d like to identify the cause of this problem before possibly paying somebody a lot of money to repair it. I borrowed money to buy the car, so this is an unwelcome development! :icon_sad: Has anybody experienced this type of problem before? Any suggestions as to a possible cause or steps I can take to identify the source of the problem?

Thanks for reading and any advice offered.
Gav

TLDR : My Blobeye’s 5-spd gearbox is unwell. Please help!

First thing I would do is change clutch and the rest of the works for peace of mind. See how you get on after that. I know it's a lot of money but I'd rather splash the cash incase I'd have to fork for a new transmission.

Someone with better knolage than me will be along soon

Is it standard or one of them short shift mods done?

Reason I ask is I got one before and gearbox was a pig to use so I removed it.

In any case pull off the gator (round shifter) and have a look could be something obvious obstructing shift or where shift leaver is seated...

Failing that contact wagon Dec here get it to him say he will know

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Someone with better knolage than me will be along soon

Reason I ask is I got one before and gearbox was a pig to use so I removed it.

In any case pull off the gator (round shifter) and have a look could be something obvious obstructing shift or where shift leaver is seated...

I had the same issue in a Legacy, might be worth a look alright.

Has the gearbox oil been changed before
Yes, changed as per recommended service interval. Last change was at 76,000 miles, done by a Subaru main dealer (Carroll & Roche).

Doubt she's on the original clutch with that ammount of miles
I really think it is. I asked the previous owner when I first viewed the car whether the clutch had been changed and he said no. He was meticulous about maintenance and the car was truly immaculate when I picked it up. I have complete service history going back to 2007. No mention of it in there.

Standard shifter.

Thanks, will do.

Well I'm not a mechanic so I'm the wrong person to advise you further
But at a guess I'd say your box is wanked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they a hydraulic or cable clutch? Also how is it once in gear, no noises or popping out of gear? If hydraulic check the slave and master cylinder, see if either of them look unhealthy (wet with oil, rusty, etc.). Also does clutch feel spongy?

After that could be anything (clutch, box, linkage, or whatever). Hope nothing too serious.

Are they a hydraulic or cable clutch?
Hydraulic.
Also how is it once in gear, no noises or popping out of gear?
No problems when in a gear. Pulls fine throughout the rev range. No nosies or popping out of gear.
If hydraulic check the slave and master cylinder, see if either of them look unhealthy (wet with oil, rusty, etc.).
Thanks, will do.
Also does clutch feel spongy?
No.
After that could be anything (clutch, box, linkage, or whatever). Hope nothing too serious.
Hopefully!

Was it a problem with the shift linkage? It would be great if I can get this sorted without having to remove the transmission.

Had a poor, shitty, short shifter, balls to select certain gears. If you have a standard one then you may be in for some bad news with your symptoms, but I'm no mechanic. Hope you get sorted handy enough

When the car is off. In neutral. If you move your selector side to side does it feel loose. Like its not really connected to the gearbox? Plus when reading your message. You say car parked its difficult, is this with motor on or off?

Obviously would need to see it to tell for sure but from what you've said you need a new clutch and a set of gear shift bushings

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

When the car is off. In neutral. If you move your selector side to side does it feel loose. Like its not really connected to the gearbox?
No, it feels pretty normal.

Plus when reading your message. You say car parked its difficult, is this with motor on or off?
That's with the motor off. Not much different with the motor on.

Thanks very much for all the replies, ideas and suggestions, they're much appreciated. I'll be off-line for the rest of the evening but will be taking a closer look at the car tomorrow and will respond with any findings then.
Gav

Back