Wrx tyre/differential

ScoobeyDoo

Sunday Drivers
Hi lads,

I recently got a small bulge on the sidewall of my front tyre on the WRX :angry:
The two front tyres are about 40%worn.
I remember hearing once that if you're changing say a front tyre, you need to change
the opposite one too, or even all 4?
I do realise that one tyre would spin marginally more/less than the other if they
had different rates of wear, but would this damage the diff?
I dont want to fork out like €300 for 2 tyres(Michelin Pilot Sports :thumbsup:)...never mind
double that for a set when they have life left yet!

Cheers

Would think it would effect ur braking and grip also if u cant only 1 new tyre and 1 old on the opposite side

I dont think tyre wear is much of an issue!!!
As long as it is the same make,size and model tyre as the rest you'll be grand!
Dan

Technicaly speaking you should change all four
tyres at once .

But lets be honest it's expensive and most probarly don't.

I normally try to cahnge all four but if i don't have the €€€€'s
i'll just change front 2 or back 2 !!

I've never heard of anyone damaging a diff by not changing all four .

Niall.

you will damage the diff if you put on different size tyres as you have different rolling distances

it makes good sense to change both fronts at the same time as you can imagine as wetpatch said

if you do not want to but two put the 2 from the rear onto the front cause they are more than likely to be a match and put the new one on the rear. get the one with the bulge off quick cause that tyre is pooped and very dangerous

:thumbsup:

I changed my 2 rear tyres on my type R when I bought it...and when diff was locked (1 back from full) the car seemed to snake on me side to side.. then i bought 2 new front and problem solved..... i heard should rotate tyres to opposite wheel every now and again , front right to back left etc...

On second thoughts! I'd be safe rather than sorry!
Bite the bullit and change both tyres!
Dan

Id stay away from cheap tyres.
The garage put 2 tires on the front of mine when i bought it(cheap rubbish). Grand in the dry but absolutly sh*t in the wet, front end tries to keep goin straight.

If you are in travelling distance of Sallins/Naas PM me and I'll give you the number of a great lad to get tyres of!
Cheapest tyres I've ever come across!
eg. 205/55/16 pirelli p6000 €100 and 225/45/18 goodyear eagle F1 €170
Dan

Back