Coolant Reservoir

ScoobyShom

Sunday Drivers
Hey All,

Someone might have asked this before but I cant find it, sorry.

My coolant level seems to be going up and down and generally decreasing slowly with no visible leaks on the ground. I checked the coolant level in the header tank and rad but the coolant is up to the top on both. I then top up the reservoir to the full line again and keep an eye on it. The car has never overheated and no unusual sounds coming from the engine, driving or stopped but I want to get this sorted before anything happens.

Anyone have any ideas or had this issue? Is this a sign of the head gasket going?:new_puppy_dog_eyes::doh:

Cheers. :thumbsup:

The rad is a known weak link in Subaru small pin holes in the tank that only leak under pressure I have replaced a few myself over the years with the same symptoms as your having it will get bigger and leak more.
The rad is where I'd start the search
Hope this helps

cheers Keith the rads are a known fault. But i have replaced the rad about 6 months ago due to the crimp on the top leaking.

Get yourself a pressure test kit, cost few quid

Rad is likely to be a fault,plastic end housing usually crack, I should know
Went through 3in 5 years before going alloy rad

cheers Keith the rads are a known fault. But i have replaced the rad about 6 months ago due to the crimp on the top leaking.

I've a coolant tester shom you can use it to check for leak. Chances are it's the rad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've a coolant tester shom you can use it to check for leak. Chances are it's the rad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Andy. Saw the pan is wet with green coolant after driving earlier so either a leak at the bottom of the rad or the hoses are leaking. Might change the rad hoses anyway, look a bit worn after 13 years! Might test the rad first so might give ya a shout. Cheers Andy. [emoji1303]

ScoobyShom [emoji592][emoji100]

Back