JDM Wrx noise

is this the white bug you only got recently?
I hope is not something major since your last car broke your heart :(

Same one...not to worried as no matter what I can try to save it.
Last owner had no papers with her as took it as unexpected trade in. Waiting for some history from last owner. I knew car have some issues just not sure what is it exactly. No impact on performance ...just noises can't recognise.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Have to change oil cooler gasket so will get fresh oil ...maybe flush system. Don't think it was mapped from Japan fuel also.
Will see how it gonna react on ocean booster. Few things coming to my head.
One mechanic saying it sound like valve timing or barrels ..another it is nothing uncommon.

hmmmm thats a funny one,

doesn't sound clunky enough or metallic enough for big end (had this)
doesn't sound hollow enough to be slap, and the fact it get worse when its hot also rules that out (currently have to worse piston slap i have heard on any Subaru)

to ME and its always hard to diagnose from a youtube video is it sounds top endy, small end / gudgeon pin?

a reason as to why its worse when warm is possibly the oil loosing viscosity/getting thinner and allowing more slack or play in whatever is worn

hmmmm thats a funny one,

doesn't sound clunky enough or metallic enough for big end (had this)
doesn't sound hollow enough to be slap, and the fact it get worse when its hot also rules that out (currently have to worse piston slap i have heard on any Subaru)

to ME and its always hard to diagnose from a youtube video is it sounds top endy, small end / gudgeon pin?

a reason as to why its worse when warm is possibly the oil loosing viscosity/getting thinner and allowing more slack or play in whatever is worn
When u listen from side of car sound is coming more like from front of engine.

Belt? 186K km on her . Belt label 105K ????

Ah right, see what I mean about hard to diagnose, I listened with High quality headhphones and it sounded very much like the passenger side

Belts is a good shout, take one of the bel covers off the front of the engine and have a look for any wear,

Belt may have been done but that doesn't mean it was done well, or that the roller bearings were changed

Also bro, get your self a long screw driver or something metal and put it on different parts of the engine (metal bits lol) whith your ear to it and see off you can track the noise down

I had same issue even when beside the car. Sound like somewhere on side of engine. When changed position it was more like front.

Tone is so strange I couldn't match it with any internal part....

Will try later

Nothing yet. Belt is worn. Can hear anything unusual on block and cams covers. Klicking noise spears when listen near camber cover where AVCS sensor is mounted I believe. Need professional with more experience????

to the OP on the first video,is it the whistling loose fan belt type noise your talking about or another noise??

to the OP on the first video,is it the whistling loose fan belt type noise your talking about or another noise??
No. The one is bit strange for me start at the end of first video. On second vid u can clearly hear "knocking" kicking whatever u call it.

its hard listening to the video,did you rule out the harmonic balancer,they make a knocking sound when they are one the way out,timing belt cover off and inspect

Took me a while but finally found noise source. Someone have changed spark plugs but one front passenger side was loose. Literally took it of with my fingers.
So far noise is gone when engine warmed up. ????

Back