wheel spacers

Zigster

so before I go and spend money on a set of spacers Id like to see how my front wheels would actually look.

does anyone have a 20mm spacer I could driver over and try just to see how it would look.

cheers

I fit 20mm to my old wr1 they were just that bit 2 wide on the back and would rub 15mm would have been perfect
I was advised against them as they could damage the bearings and the cheap ones snap (seen this first hand in mondello) if I was you I'd go 15 and get h&r ones expensive but for peace of mind.

I fit 20mm to my old wr1 they were just that bit 2 wide on the back and would rub 15mm would have been perfect
I was advised against them as they could damage the bearings and the cheap ones snap (seen this first hand in mondello) if I was you I'd go 15 and get h&r ones expensive but for peace of mind.

ok good stuff, its just for the front, where would you get the H&R from also, I do 120km a day, so want to be sure its the right thing to do before I splash the cash

That's the ones
Would doing the front and not doing the rear not upset the geometry of the car ?
Wide front =more grip might make it Handel like a pig
I'm not sure

That's the ones
Would doing the front and not doing the rear not upset the geometry of the car ?
Wide front =more grip might make it Handel like a pig
I'm not sure

had a work with the mechanic at home hehe, think we do 15 in the front and 5 in the back. this is one of those things i know so little about hehe, another idea could be 2 different offset rims,

You referbed your wheels, they look nice, imo no need to fiddle. When you get few bob get wider/bigge wheels the way you intended and keep those for winter/track and job done. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Had 10mm H&R spacers on the front of my A4 Quattro for the winters (didnt clear the calipers without).
No issue doing this on the front only... 10/15mm is not a lot unless the car is already prone to oversteer...
Scoobs are more prone to understeer so, unless you have made other suspension changes to make the car more neutral or oversteer prone, you should be fine.

Not sure why you are actually getting the spacers... is it just for looks (in which case I'd keep front and back same)... or is it to fit wheels and clear calipers (in which case fronts alone might be fine, but do make sure you get at least 3-4mm clearance based on new discs and pads or else still have a risk of catching the alloy on the caliper on flex / movement when hot etc)

wow thanks guys,

this is for pure look, nothing else, my front wheel looks hidden away after I changed the wings. I have been considering just buying a new set of wheels with a 17" EJ8 and ET30 or 25 spec to make the look I want. the reason I am looking at other options is because I actually love my rims after I gave them the refurb.

Right, so if i understand correctly you fitted wider wings at the front... so although "just for looks" it is also the case that it is only at the front it currently looks wrong due to the wider wings?

In that case I'd go with the spacers at the front and leave the back... get good ones (not "halfords own")... I got H&R ones from http://www.alloy-wheels.ie/ and not 100% sure anymore but think they were like €45 ex vat for 2x10mm (note that some manufactures list the size as total and some per side so clarify when buying (10mm could be 5mm per side = 10... or could be 10mm per side = 20mm). Hope that helps.

Right, so if i understand correctly you fitted wider wings at the front... so although "just for looks" it is also the case that it is only at the front it currently looks wrong due to the wider wings?

In that case I'd go with the spacers at the front and leave the back... get good ones (not "halfords own")... I got H&R ones from http://www.alloy-wheels.ie/ and not 100% sure anymore but think they were like €45 ex vat for 2x10mm (note that some manufactures list the size as total and some per side so clarify when buying (10mm could be 5mm per side = 10... or could be 10mm per side = 20mm). Hope that helps.

that is really cool, yes it does, I will get a set of those you have suggested, seems the way to go.

:plusone:

Got a set of longer bolts at the time as well... they sell all the studs / bolts / nuts in different lengths and head patterns to suit.

let see how it goes, have contacted them over at alloy wheels to see what we can do.

Zigster,

You probably have this sorted by now but I put 44mm (22mm each side) spacers on the front and back. I have a standard suspension and havent had any rubbing / bottoming out on the arches. The wheels sit just inside the arches so no issues with NCT either, see pics below. I used H&R spacers that i got off a lad in Louth €150 incl delivery which i thought wasnt bad.

Just a note on installing them, if you are going with less than 22mm you will need longer bolts. There was about 2/3 mm of the old bolts protruding outside the spacers after i put them on. Luckily enough the alloys have a cavity between the studs so they fit in nicely without any mods needed.

Thats my tuppence worth anyway...hope you got sorted. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_6907.JPG
    IMG_6907.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6909.JPG
    IMG_6909.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 42
  • FullSizeRender (12).jpg
    FullSizeRender (12).jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 43
  • FullSizeRender (14).jpg