Spongy brake pedal

JohnRA

Member Number 3801
On the way home the other evening my brake pedal was really soft. Had to make an abrupt stop and pedal went all the way to the floor and made what I can only describe as a clunk. Afterward I had no brakes without pumping the brakes like mad.

When engine is off the pedal is solid.

It also flew the brake test in the NCT and passed well within allowance.

Fluid level is fine.

1995 GL. No ABS.

If it's going to the floor you have a leak if there no fluid on the ground it's a seal in the master or slave cylinder

I've followed all the lines and no leaks. Nothing is wet anywhere. Filled the fluid and put the cap back on and got Laura to pump while I went looking. You can hear it pulling in air and the fluid is dropping but everything is staying dry.

I've followed all the lines and no leaks. Nothing is wet anywhere. Filled the fluid and put the cap back on and got Laura to pump while I went looking. You can hear it pulling in air and the fluid is dropping but everything is staying dry.

if fluid is dropping it must be going somewhere, have a look at back of master cylinder above brake pedal behind dash for any dampness, it could also be leaking from the master cylinder into the servo, if you have no visible leaks externally it has to be in here if the level is dropping

if fluid is dropping it must be going somewhere, have a look at back of master cylinder above brake pedal behind dash for any dampness, it could also be leaking from the master cylinder into the servo, if you have no visible leaks externally it has to be in here if the level is dropping

That's what I'm thinking. Fluid has to be getting somewhere so possibly in to the servo. Inside car is dry.

I'm thinking servo because pedal was solid when engine was off and went soft when switched on but now it's soft all the time.

Should have kept these kind of bits off the last 1.6 I scrapped.

Wouldn't say it's a servo .
Not saying this is your issue but maybe be something to look into , my wagon always had a bad peddle , until I changed, and bench bled the master cylinder (there sometimes can be a small air lock in the master cylinder if it has ever ran dry during bleeding )
After that was done the peddle was solid

Changed master cylinder. Brake was coming up solid then went soft again. Decided pump through a bit of fluid and see. Nothing wet inside engine bay or at footwell from servo. Just about to give up and saw fluid under rear right wheel. Had a look under and it's coming from above the subframe somewhere. Guessing the line is split but the odd thing is I can't see any corrosion on the lines.

The car also now won't start. I had it running the other night so have that one to figure out now. Think the code I pulled was 17 which Google says injector 4?

The joys of it all!

Back