Fitting larger brake disks

adrianfa

ISDC Club Member
I'm thinking of upgrading the rear brakes to 2 pot but this will mean the replacement of the disks from 266mm to 290mm.

Can someone in the know help advise me on what mounting bracket I'd need to get please, or let me know if this can even be done. The car is running standard Subaru 17" wheels.

The car is a 2007 Hawkeye non turbo wagon.

Thanks,
Adrian.

Last edited:
To be honest I don't think your going to feel much improvement
I'd be looking at the front if I was you
What set up is on the car now

Yup as above.

Most cars 70% braking effort at front 30% rear.

If I were u I'd be sourcing a set of wrx front calipers and get new good quality pads in it.

There usually not mad money as most upgrade to Brembos.

Change fluid to 5.1 and get some stainless steel brake lines.

Or failing that

Best quick noticeable results get some good quality pads in your calipers you have now (front)

My setup wrx 4 pots (front) all 4 calipers refurbushed with new stainless steel pistons new seals.groved and dimpled disks all round bf Goodrich brake lines 5.1 and Ferodo ds2500 pads.

Performs very well.

Why u thinking of doing brake work could be something simple to improve if u provide more info..

????

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Decent pads, braided lines and a fluid like rbf600 or Millers and if you're looking for overall pedal firmness, a brake stopper aswell. Nice noticeable mods for much less cost.

I found that the 2 pot conversion took a bit of pressure off the front brakes also making the car more stable under braking on track conditions, but a decent set of pads ,fresh discs and check all the sliders and pistons are moving freely on your original brakes would be fine on the road .

If your using the car hard it's a brilliant upgrade. Doesn't matter what the brake bias is front to rear .

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I am putting 4 pots in the front. But I wanted to do something with the back as well.
I'm just a bit tired with how the existing calipers look in general so that's part of the reason as well. (The car is non turbo so it's current set up is 2 pot in the front and 1 pot in the rear.)
Ciaran, funny enough, I had a conversation with someone today about sourcing a set from a wrx. It's another option that I'm thinking about now.
Thanks again, everyone, for the tips and comments.

If it tired looking I'd do it then
To be honest, Keith, it's more that really than anything else. Better brakes will always be a good thing but I'm not driving that mad that upgrading the brakes is a necessity...!
I've had the car 5 and a half years now and I think it needs a bit of boost at this stage.
There's a couple of other smaller things that I'd like to get done this year as well but we'll see how things go.

Back