Big job or not?

Pedro555

ISDC Club Member
i presume seal has gone and now leaking a small amount of oil from gearbox where driveshaft joins the box, exactly as in photo.
the gearbox had been rebuilt a month ago and i presume seal got damaged when that was done.

is it a box out job or can seal be replaced in suite

thanks

Attachments

• gearbox.jpg
    gearbox.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 189
In situ.

Need to take drive out.

Need new gear oil as need to drain box or else runs all over the place.

90-120 minutes depending on tools / lift / any ceased fastners etc.

Seal is usually not too dear.

Thanks Charles,

Yeahs parts cheap but didn't know how long job will take, I won't be doing it so trying to gauge Labour costs

Cheers????

You could also Jack the car up one side so the oil will flow to the far side minimising the amount that will leak out and you'll only need to top up oil then! Not usually a hard job to do kieran I'd say you and the father would manage it, just be careful putting new Seal in not to damage it

As far as I know that round plate behind the drive shaft has to go back in the same position as it the preload for the front diff bearing so mark it with tip ex before removing .
Also the roll pin that secures the drive you need to tap it out the un countersunk side and back in the countersunk side

@Shane and baz, cheers for that lads but I'm not going to try it for the reasons that baz said, I don't want to f*ck up the front diff by not setting that postioning plate properly. A little out of my comfort zone.
????

As far as I know that round plate behind the drive shaft has to go back in the same position as it the preload for the front diff bearing so mark it with tip ex before removing .
Also the roll pin that secures the drive you need to tap it out the un countersunk side and back in the countersunk side

last time i did them i removed the plate baz is talking about it comes out a couple of turns before you can remove it, mark it as he said and count the turns.
it may be possible to remove the seal without removing the plate if you have a seal puller but i definitely removed the plate the last time.

Thanks seanie and Gordon for info,

Not going to chance it to be honest, I'll leave it with someone????

Thanks seanie and Gordon for info,

Not going to chance it to be honest, I'll leave it with someone��

Dear Pedro555,

Who did you ultimately choose to do the job on the front diff? I ask because I am researching a possible front diff issue on my car ['99 Turbo 2000, Irish Model. ODO:150K Miles]

Thanks & Regards,
Ciaran

Dear Pedro555,

Who did you ultimately choose to do the job on the front diff? I ask because I am researching a possible front diff issue on my car ['99 Turbo 2000, Irish Model. ODO:150K Miles]

Thanks & Regards,
Ciaran

Hi ciaran, used seanie a member on here based in Clare like myself, just use someone who is familiar with Subaru for the reasons stated above, use Dave at rsr or ciaran Larkin in finglas or ciaran at asd walkinstown who are near to you and know these cars inside out ,????

preload

the preload on the bearings is very inportant and also it does the backlash of the front crown wheel and pinion .....which if not set correctly it will f .. u ... c .. k it ....

not

Dear Pedro555,

Thanks & Regards,
Ciaran

front diffs verry rarely give trouble .. ( obviously not sein car ) but if its a diff related problem its more than likely ur centre diff ..

Back