heater blowing cold air

gsr owner

Sunday Drivers
Hi folks.
Washed my b4 legacy yesterday, and cleaned inside car, but heater is blowing cold air now, even when set to 32 degrees. Coolant was on low side yesterday so topped it up with 200ml coolant.
Any ideas why air wont heat.was fine before yesterday

Hope its not the head gasket, as I said it was fine until I cleaned the car, though some dashboard spray might have got into a switches on dash
I didn't drive it at all since I washed it until this evening, started it up again about an hour ago, and air started to heat up, then went cold again. is engine fecked if its head gasket ?.

If coolant is low may be an air lock.

If bled correctly and thermostat opening etc and engine side of things all seem ok.

Sometimes on the elec controlled unit. Altohugh setting to 32degrees and motor can fail on heater unit behind dash

What sort of money am I looking at if its head gasket ?, will airlock work its way out if there is one.

Need bleed system.

Personally on subarus if was head gasket. Doing head gasket job only is far too risky on a subaru.

You can skim heads all perfectly fine.

But if heads got same temp as the block then block needs skimmed also. Thats a rebuild.

We dont undertake head gasket only jobs for that reason. As not skimming block. Not renewing piston rings. And not going near the bottom end.

So imagine paying out for head gasket job. And big end fails a week later. Who do you blame.

Last edited:
What way is ur temp gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Temp in Subaru normally operates 96-88 degrees. Fan on. Fan off etc.

Your temp gauge will only budge off halfway perfect looking temp on speedo clocks after 114 degress.

D heater rad inside d dash could be blocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heater rad not a common failure in B4.

And odd of blockage again in that point is more slim.

if system looks clean unabuaed. As in non brown and not ran solely on water wouldnt be thinking there

No not ran solely on water, and not brown at all, still pink colour.
Would head gasket explain why I needed to top up coolant yesterday, as I checked coolant a couple of weeks ago and it was fully topped up.

They are tri metal gasket. So normally show zero signs of pressure.

Only under load create an air bubble

So if bleed fully and drive off boost then should use zero water

A sniff test should determine if co2 within coolant and answer your question.

Just took car for a 15 spin now, and heater gauge went fully up to hot, opened bonnet and there is coolant all over rad and floor of engine bay.

Back