subaru trouble

marksscooby

Petrolheads
hi all i know i asked something like this before but my friend has his impreza coupe v6 a year the engine went 2 weeks ago :shock: so he had to get a new engine in it bottom end etc, etc it cost 5000 euro :shock: then that only lasted a week he is very angry over it wouldnt blame him :angry: he had to sell it very cheap so that someone else would fix it
he had it remapped for 95 ron and he always drove it easy
the reason i wanted to post this was because i was going to get one when i am 22 with 4 yrs ncb but i am afraid to buy one now after what happened to my friends one :eek:mg:

everytime i ask someone about a subaru they tell me keep away from them there a load of trouble, :( i know 2 more people the same thing happened as above not being smart or anything are they that bad :ponder:

if your friend had a rebuild that folded after 2 weeks..he didnt run it in..plain and simple..if i paid 5000 euro for a rebuild and it lasted 2 weeks and i FOLLOWED ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS id be down there with my trusty axe getting compensation

maybe your right :) but why did it happen to 2 more people i know, and they done the same as above remapped it drove it easy and serviced it properly, there must be something wrong with subarus :ponder: :cry: i mean like thats expensive trouble :shock:

Honestly find it hard to believe. if it was a fresh re-build and was drivin easy as a run-in, mapped for 95ron :ponder:

[quote author=mark c link=topic=5271.msg59006#msg59006 date=1201888114]
there must be something wrong with subarus :ponder: :cry:
[/quote]

Well now that your on this site you'll know of 100's with no problem :)
How did it only last a week? He must have been driving up and down the country to get the engine run-in and able to blow it within a week - something smells fishy!

Alan.

Could have been a build or map issue, but alot of cars Ive seen that have failed a few weeks after a rebuild could have been due to re using contaminated parts from the orginal engine IMO. Not saying this is the case as I dont know what went into it. Has he got an invoice ?

For that kind of money he could have got A LOT better and shouldent have to re use old parts.

Damo

a s[quote author=mark c link=topic=5271.msg59006#msg59006 date=1201888114]
maybe your right :) but why did it happen to 2 more people i know, and they done the same as above remapped it drove it easy and serviced it properly, there must be something wrong with subarus :ponder: :cry: i mean like thats expensive trouble :shock:
[/quote]
Hey Mark,
a nightmare lad,i was in the same boat meself with a recent engine change. Bottom end went aswell. Its a hell of alot of money particularly when you don`t expect it. Where did you get your engine? I got mine from McKeevers up north and fitted in High precision in Carlow. Mine isn`t mapped yet either and runs fine. I wouldn`t be taking any crap from them,not with a new engine especially. :angry: Not knocking Scooby`s in any sense but alot of people have said the same about subaru`s and their engines! still didn`t stop me though,nothing like a flat four sound first thing in the morning,especially when cold and crisp outside for full effect :subaru: :headbanger:

[quote author=Gary S link=topic=5271.msg59032#msg59032 date=1201895352]
OMG thats bad. Is that the usual price for a rebuild or is it a bit ott
[/quote] does seem abit OTT alrite, all in mine cost 2800e,including new clutch,timing belt and full service! now saying dat my engine wasn`t new, a 99 WRX engine.

[/quote] does seem abit OTT alrite, all in mine cost 2800e,including new clutch,timing belt and full service! now saying that my engine wasn`t new, a 99 WRX engine.
[/quote]

Well wont put me off getting one.

@ Mark c was it a brand new engine or second hand

if it only lasted 2 weeks surely the builder would stand over it????

also as was mentioned above re-using stuff like the oil cooler or oil pump can cause to go again as there would be metal particles there from the bearing failure..

@ davelegacy, it was a new engine he got dont know if some of the used parts were put in again :dunno: i was speaking to you on the phone about it :) builder said he wont cover what happened he told my friend he would have to charge him to take it apart and look at it :angry:

is there any way of buying a good impreza v5 coupe one thats mapped even or is it hard to tell if its good or not :ponder:

I'd be looking for compo if my engine only lasted two weeks. You run it off boost for 1000kms and increse in 500rpm evey500k after.I got an engine done last year and that's what I was TOLD to doto run it in.
Cheers
John

Back