Weird rattle sound from engine bay?

Zheiko

Octane Boostaholics
Hey,

so today I noticed, that I am getting weird very subtle rattle noise from my engine bay. I was going downhill and had 3rd gear engaged and was enginebraking at around 3000 rpm. That as far as I am aware, is still enough air to be going through turbo and making it rotate, but not enough to push it.

During that, I had my radio off, and I could clearly hear rattling noise. I suspect turbo. If I step on it, it either disappears or vanishes in the engine sound, so I cant hear it any more.

Could this be sign that the turbo is on its way out?

turbo or engine possiblly
dont drive it and call your mechanic straight away as could do more damage
hope its nothing serious

Any idea who in Dublin could check it out for me? I dont wanna drive with it all the way to Dave

Donaghmede area. I think it should be fine to drive to Blanch, its not that far?

Definitely wasn't doing it on Sunday, I didn't hear anything at Tom's anyway. You started up before me.

I cant hear anything while stationary either, just as I let go of the gas and let the gravity and pendulum work my way downhill, as the exhaust became quiet then I could hear it. Happens only at about roughly 3000rpm. And is not loud enough to go over radio playing.

Big thanks to Dave for going the extra mile and checking the car for me. Seems its just loose heatshields... need to replace those for the 'fabricated' ones.

Back