Steering jumping

gseco

Sunday Drivers
Hi,

When cold and on full lock the steering in my car (05 WRX) is jumping/knocking. That's the best I can describe it anyway? I'm assuming it's something p/s related? It doesn't happen once the car is warmed up and is more noticable when the steering is locked to the right. It doesn't always happen it's intermittent.

Anybody had the same issue? Cheers for any replies.

@baz- fluid seems to be just a bit below full. I was going to change the fluid out anyway? I read its ATF used instead of power steering fluid?

@keith- Could the diff be knocking while having the car on full lock while stationary? I'll have drop into my mechanic and have him throw and eye on it. Hopefully its just p/s pump related.

Could be air in system either if fluid is nearly full, take off cap and start car, lock steering side to side a few times and then check fluid level again see has it changed or does problem stop. Had similar problems before on heavier duty vehicles and usually just air in the steering system!!

Could be air in system either if fluid is nearly full, take off cap and start car, lock steering side to side a few times and then check fluid level again see has it changed or does problem stop. Had similar problems before on heavier duty vehicles and usually just air in the steering system!!

Thanks for that I'll give that a go and see if it helps :thumbsup:

@baz- fluid seems to be just a bit below full. I was going to change the fluid out anyway? I read its ATF used instead of power steering fluid?

@keith- Could the diff be knocking while having the car on full lock while stationary? I'll have drop into my mechanic and have him throw and eye on it. Hopefully its just p/s pump related.

Sorry didn't see the stationary bit no I don't think so lol
I remember the first day I bought my type r, I drove all the way from longford loving it then turned into the drive clunk clunk my heart sank........had the diff on full lock ha ha frightened the fuc.I out of me

This happened me last week and it was only the belt????i fitted new belts, p/s and a/c and all was grand again, maybe try that first and see.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi,

When cold and on full lock the steering in my car (05 WRX) is jumping/knocking. That's the best I can describe it anyway? I'm assuming it's something p/s related? It doesn't happen once the car is warmed up and is more noticable when the steering is locked to the right. It doesn't always happen it's intermittent.

Anybody had the same issue? Cheers for any replies.

most likely p/s belt, gates belts seem to be the most available belt(but are a bad fit)

I'm noticing something similar with mine the last while.
When the car is idling, you can hear a low squeak\squealing noise, but if you rev it, it's gone.
I noticed the steering a bit heavy when I was trying to park the other day as well.
And this morning when I was reversing with the wheel on lock, the steering jumped a small bit.
I checked the belt (by hand) and it seems tight enough. Fluid level looks ok as well.

Could the ps pump be on the way out?
Even if it was the belt that was loose, you'd imagine it wouldn't cause a squeal when the car is idling??

Yes pump on way out common enough happened to me bout 6 months ago

Got replacement off trader on scoobynet all is good easy fix????

Thanks Ciaran. Kinda thought that was it alright.
Must go youtubing to see what's involved in replacing it... :)

Before replacing worth changing the fluid see if that cures it ????

Yes pump on way out common enough happened to me bout 6 months ago

Got replacement off trader on scoobynet all is good easy fix????

How much did that set you back ball park? Mine seems ok now after changing the fluid, hopefully it lasts.

Worked out at 100 euro delivered ????

Second hand so no guarantee it would work but it was grand

Back