Urgent no power under accelertion

Crazy d

Can anyone help me out! .i have a 2001 (classic) Impreza 2l turbo .car has no power under acceleration won't rise over 2500 rpm ,revving fine when out of gear.misfiring and spluttering under acceleration .very hard on juice.wont go over 100kph.plugs ,filters ,leads ,oil have been changed maf sensor cleaned,coil pack ruled out.02 sensor has come up on fault on diagnostic ,I've been told it might not be the o2 sensor and could be the fuel pump or cat converter,don't want to spend over €300 on an 02 sensor and it not the cause of the problem,would there be anyone out there in my area (co.louth)that could loan me a 02 sensor to see if it's the culprit.

im no mechanic
but id guess its not your 02 sensor
they can be got for half what youve mentioned there too
my advice would be take it to a gargae who knows what they are looking at
could be a few things id say
take it to a trader on here who works with em
hope this helps

I've been told that a spurious 02 sensors at half the price won't last ,I've taken it to a couple of mechanics but to no avail.one mechanic said buy a fuel pump but couldn't guarantee it would fix the problem,another mechanic said to buy an 02 sensor but couldn't gaur entee would fix the problem either . Just don't know any good mechanics that have a lot of experience working on subaru's. Only recently changed the clutch and radiator,Just seem to be hemorrhaging money on the car lately .thanks for the advice

your taking it to the wrong people
and its costing you more because of it
if me id take to a trader on here
it will be cheaper in the long run imo
greater chance of it being the fuel pump rather than the 02 sensor
second hand pump would be cheap enough if you where to get one to eliminate that issue bye installing yourself etc. :thumbsup:

When my fuel pump went it was noisy and would die if you tried WOT even at standstill.

I say you could have wrecked the maf trying to clean it so I'd be replacing that with a new one. Dave in RSR can get them and genuine lambdas at great prices.

I'd also think it's a split/loose/broken boost pipe seeing as it'll rev out fine once not under load.

I've been told that a spurious 02 sensors at half the price won't last ,I've taken it to a couple of mechanics but to no avail.one mechanic said buy a fuel pump but couldn't guarantee it would fix the problem,another mechanic said to buy an 02 sensor but couldn't gaur entee would fix the problem either . Just don't know any good mechanics that have a lot of experience working on subaru's. Only recently changed the clutch and radiator,Just seem to be hemorrhaging money on the car lately .thanks for the advice
Thing is. No body could guarantee somethimg with just 1 part.

you could have 2-3 issues at that same time.

I had this happen with my N/A hawk earlier this year. I know you have the turbo being a big factor but in my case, it was bad fuel. I had to go to a station I never go to because I was really low. I drained the tank, saved it for the lawnmower, put in another tank at the regular Texaco I go to, put in a quarter bottle of Dipetane and off she flew no bother. I had no lights on the dash and nothing on the diagnostics.

I had this happen with my N/A hawk earlier this year. I know you have the turbo being a big factor but in my case, it was bad fuel. I had to go to a station I never go to because I was really low. I drained the tank, saved it for the lawnmower, put in another tank at the regular Texaco I go to, put in a quarter bottle of Dipetane and off she flew no bother. I had no lights on the dash and nothing on the diagnostics.

Tried similar myself , didn't drain the tank but with low fuel light on I added about a third of a bottle of dipethane,was told it might clean out the system but it ran worse spluttering even more ,maybe I should drain the tank completely and fill with petrol I used to get before I had the problem,may sound like a silly question but how did you drain the tank ,did you just let it run dry?

Not sure about classics, I've never been under one at all. Maybe there is a drain hole like on mine. If not disconnect the return line. You could also burn it off, but to be honest, I'd be paranoid about the turbo. I have only one plug but late 2006/early 2007 have none.

Last edited:
Back