95 Octane Fuel

G

ger

Newbie to the forum and thinking of buying an imported 99 WRX STI Type R.

Have searched various forums and cant seem to get a straight answer to this question.

Will i ruin the engine if I run it on 95? Do I need to get a re-map for 95 fuel? Will the ECU retard the timing and prevent knock?

An answer to this question would be great

Hey Ger welcome along.

Yes you would need to get a remap for the car to be safe. Id get it mapped for 95 plus octane booster which is near 98 rather then 95.

Damo

If i get it mapped for 95 will it run ok? And where can I get it mapped?

Yeah will run ok on 95 but really its better on 95 + booster. Martin tracey in Enfield could remap it for 95 but Id go with Andy Forrest if I where you. Also you need a Power fc ECU in order to get mapped.

Dont think it has a knock sensor. Would this save the need to get a remapp?

I thought Andy F was based in Scotland? Can it not be remapped using the ecu-tek software?

Welcome along :thumbsup:

Will i ruin the engine if I run it on 95?
Yes is the short answer.

Make sure you use a booster like Lucas or NF
Many people run their engines with booster all the time and don't get the car re-mapped but that is up to you.

There is a knock sensor but it would be advisable to fit a Knocklink as this will alert you straight away and will also let you know if the booster is working (ie not getting any det)

Alan.

is there any difference in any year of manufacture? is it a necessity to have the octane booster?

i've been a googling and cannot find details on each of the years of manufacture

[quote author=B4 Alan link=topic=595.msg4546#msg4546 date=1161114201]
Welcome along :thumbsup:

Will i ruin the engine if I run it on 95?
Yes is the short answer.

Make sure you use a booster like Lucas or NF
Many people run their engines with booster all the time and don't get the car re-mapped but that is up to you.

There is a knock sensor but it would be advisable to fit a Knocklink as this will alert you straight away and will also let you know if the booster is working (ie not getting any det)

Alan.

[/quote]

So it is not a necessity to get it mapped? Just use octane booster to bring it up to 97/98 octane is this correct

it is and it isnt. if you want to take the chance and run it on booster you should be ok but theres a chance you will still get det. my advise is get a power fc and get it mapped as its too late when you melt a piston and your facing a big bill which often happens from low octane fuel being used in japs. its really up to the individual if they want to take the chance and risk blowing the engine or get it mapped and be safe, and on the plus side getting it re-mapped also means extra power which is what these cars are all about.

George

And the bill you face when it does blow is twice that of a re-map and your still at square one needing the map.

cant argue with that thats spot on.

the bottom line is jap designed to run on 102ron we have 95ron. theres only 2 100% safe ways around it is re-map to run whatever octane fuel you put in it or get the boat back and forth to japland each time you need a fill-up. :D

Hi Ger,
Welcome aboard :thumbsup:

Ger i have an MY99 STI TypeR myself :)

So here's how ity works, I bought the car but didn't have the money
for re-map straight away. So i fitted a Knock-link (€150) and ran her on 95RON with booster
use (NF or LUCAS) don't bother with the rest.

With knock-link fitted at rev's at 5500 rpm or over it detected knock on hard acceleration.
If you went slowly through the gears you could get to 100 mph but again any further
and it knocked...................which you certanily don't want.

So if you drive her easy till you get map your fine.
BUT and a big BUT i also went through 4 lamda/O2 senors and about
3 MAF sensors due to the constant use of Octane booster which left
and orange dust/residue over the O2 sensor and some how fooked up the MAF :ponder:
These each cost about € 300 aprox

Since the map no prob's with Octane booster as it's mapped for it
Car ran so much better ................plus alot quicker too :p :p

So if ya have the money get her mapped if not wait but get a
KNOCK LINK so you get a pre warning .....

The ECU can only retard 1 or 2 Octane, there made to run
on 101 RON fuel so it can NOT adjust for 95 RON.

Niall.

sorta on the same train of thought..... kinda. has anybody experienced any diff in the type of petrol ye get i.e. texaco, statoil etc. i was told, that statoil is a very poor grade of petrol, same as tesco, and thats why it's usually cheaper. u get less mpg and power etc. any thoughts

Morgan

[quote author=Niallyboy link=topic=595.msg4615#msg4615 date=1161196581]
Hi Ger,
Welcome aboard  :thumbsup:

Ger i have an MY99 STI TypeR myself :)

So here's how ity works, I bought the car but didn't have the money
for re-map straight away. So i fitted a Knock-link (€150) and ran her on 95RON with booster
use (NF or LUCAS) don't bother with the rest.

With knock-link fitted at rev's at 5500 rpm or over it detected knock on hard acceleration.
If you went slowly through the gears you could get to 100 mph but again any further
and it knocked...................which you certanily don't want.

So if you drive her easy till you get map your fine.
BUT and a big BUT i also went through 4 lamda/O2 senors and about
3 MAF sensors due to the constant use of Octane booster which left
and orange dust/residue over the O2 sensor and some how fooked up the MAF :ponder:
These each cost about € 300 aprox

Since the map no prob's with Octane booster as it's mapped for it
Car ran  so much better ................plus alot quicker too :p :p

So if ya have the money get her mapped if not wait but get a
KNOCK LINK so you get a pre warning .....

The ECU can only retard 1 or 2 Octane, there made to run
on 101 RON fuel so it can NOT adjust for 95 RON.

Niall.

[/quote]

Good Advice there Niall :thumbsup:

Alan.

Cheers Alan :thumbsup:

Morgan In talking to AndyF he reckons the 95RON here is sh*t
usually been slightly under 95 if anything.
But yes i filled up at a ye auld country station. Think it was called "Core"
or something :ponder: :ponder: with usuall 1/2 bottle of lucas.
And at ### mph the knock link lite up like a Christmass tree, were normally
it would be fine....................on next fill at Texaco no probs.

Niall.

Back