Oil leaking onto exhaust

A96wagon

Sunday Drivers
Lads over the last few days there has been a god auwful smell of burning oil from the engine bay. I looked down and i could see what appeared to be a leak from the rocker cover gasket (drivers side). I replaced this with a genuine part a touch of tiger seal and let it sit for 24hrs and everything was fine seemed to hold for a day or so. Yesterday after a little fast road boost it appears the problem is back but this time not from the rocker cover gasket. Is their anywhere i should be looking? have a mechanic friend coming over later to look at it but im fearing the worst here :/

yeah ive been googling it there its an adhesive sealant as opposed to say a silicone gasket sealent... thats coming off the second it becomes daylight :/ last time i listen to a mate, thank f~~k it was only a tiny bit and not the way id usually horse the stuff on

You need to put a bit of the proper engine sealer around the corners, and at the sharp edges wher the seal goes over the cams.

Did you replace the plug hole seals??

Be very careful not to use too much sealer as it will squeeze out and into the engine...

Oh and tell your mate to stop giving out free advice asap :)

Last edited:
There is 2 half moon plugs at the back of each head, I have never had these leak on me, but on Every classic I have had, rocker cover gaskets have leaked at some stage, almost always the turbo side.. But I just bite the bullet and just do the 2 sides then while I am at it... If you look on importcarparts.co.uk you will see pics of all the rocker cover sealing bits.

Back