alternator problem

Gazza15

Well lads iv a 2005 impreza sti widetrack
I changed the alternater today cause the other one gave up i got a reconditioned motor factor one and put it in but since iv put it in the engine light is on so i done a scan on it and its reading (charging system voltage low) even doe its putting out 14.2 volts running and 11.9 volts off if i clear the fault and keep the revs up a little bit the light stays off but once i leave the revs drop it.l come back on any ideas or might it just be a faulty alternator

Ya was thinking that but its holding charge so far like and it wasnt coming on with the bad alternator in it

Ya belt is tight connections are fine il double check it al again tomorrow

I read somewhere that you have to be careful with replacing the altenator. You should use your own refurbised unit because they are somehow matched with the electronics in the car and you can't just throw a diffrent one in. I have not done much research on it but you should look into that. It could all be working fine but the ECU can flag a problem because its not the matched unit.
You need to talk to an auto electrician really.

:dontknow:Never ever heard that . That an alternator has to be matched to a car . Someone telly you porkies I.d say

Everything is working fine its putting out the rite volts and holding charge only for it bringing on the engine light thats y i posted it up here to see did anyone else come ascross this problem

Evo bully is correct, some newer cars can act up unless the alternator is putting the exact right voltage.

Could still be a battery issue though.

I would get that tested to make sure it's taking a charge correctly

Ya i went up to the shed awhile ago to start it and check the belt and battery it started first tip if it was the battery it hardly would have started it wasn't started since 3 or 4 yesterday it wouldn't hold charge that long it must be something to do with the alternater

So bring the alternator back and get the original reconditioned or buy second hand at least then you'll be sure .

Have you tried deleting the codes to see if it comes back ?

Ya deleted it a few times keeps coming back ya il just have to get mine reconditioned and see what happens

So it wasn't the alternater or the battery the blobeye impreza is on a smart charge system so it doesn't charge when on idle or rev.d up u need to have the park lights or the heater fan on for it to draw power then it will start charging i was only starting it in the shed for 10 or 15 min and knocking it off so thats y it was drained

Back