Old pads on new discs?

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
In the middle of servicing the brakes. Poxy 2 piece discs are a nightmare. Calipers need a full strip down to fix but I need to fully strip them down due to rounded bolts on the wear plates. New pads simply won't fit on the caliper. Is it OK to run old pads about half life on them on new discs or will it feck them up? Only for a few days until I get a loaner set of brakes. Just need to get the car mobile and get home

Quick rub of a file on the pad face and they should bed in quicker to the new discs

Not sure what i did wrong but the calipers are actually rubbing on the discs! Little did i know that the calipers have an inner and an outer bleed valve. so i bled the fronts again inside and outside and its a bit better but the drivers side still rubs. when there is any left turning of the steering. Had a closer look and it seems like the inner pistons on both calipers are not coming out so the caliper is being pushed a bit by the outside pistons and its rubbing on the discs

Whats the the correct bleed sequence when you have calipers like this? I presume it would be same as Brembos. My rears are standard so only one bleed valve each. I never bled the rears since i didnt touch them today.

Would a full system bleed help remedy this?

So if i researched correctly it should be:

left rear
front right inner, then outer
Right rear
left front inner then outer.

I was doing this alone so just gravity bleeding, sucked out as much old fluid from the reservoir then topped it off with new stuff, then started to bleed the fronts. Once done a few stomps of the pedal until it was firm again and went for a drive. Any tips welcome. This was my first time bleeding the brakes on the legacy. Hopefully its just caused by wrong order of bleeding the calipers

I will need to take the AP calipers off the car to refurbish and probably split them as the wear plates are well and truly stuck in there and only way to get new pads in the caliper body would be to file down the ends of the backing plates but them that causes the pads to move and click in low braking situations.

I'll have to check with Godspeed can you split the AP caliper bodies without having any seal issues when they are put back together.

One thing I wouldn't pri*k with is brakes I'd get it to somone who knows them if I was you

I'm starting to think that now myself Colm. It was like the Dr. Pepper ad, "what's the worst that can happen"

The calipers rubbing against the disc?

Are the wheel bearings ok?#

Also if the inner pistons are not moving it wasnt bled correctly , use a vacuum bleeder or the two man method

i replaced one of the wheels hubs with the plan to do both but ran out of time/patience, i have a vacuum bleeder there ill probably try with that tomorrow. i think its the inner pistons that arent coming out.

So when there is two bleed valves, do you do the inner or outer one first? or both at the same time?

Inner first as the flexi pipe is bolted inner side , fluid fills the inner chamber first and then the outer

Back