Click on bug STI

DaveSleggy

It normally happens in traffic/low speed conditions. I'll start to roll forward, step on the accelerator about one notch or so, the weight transfers to the back of the car, I hear a loud click, then I let off the throttle, weight transfers forward and it clicks again. The click sounds like it is coming from the drivers side rear area. Has anyone heard the same sound?
Not sure if it goes away after a while or if its getting worse or that iv just noticed it more. I know its hard to have any clue without it being up on a ramp.

Really could be loads of things and only way to know is to put it on a ramp and inspect it properly.

From drop links or drop link bushings, to wishbone bushings, to ALK if fitted, to engine mount or dog bone, coil-over lose spring... etc.

Bring it to a garage and get it checked is your best course of action.

Ah yeah i know, its only pure speculation otherwise, was just wondering if it was common or not. Who do my fellow dubs use around here to get their work done?

Sounds like my problem turned out to be knocking in shock greased them up never heard it again
Ciaran in asd looks after mine he is near walkinstown he drills shock and puts a grease nipple on it so it makes it a handy job ......that's if that's your problem.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, and thats a nice walkthrough, im sure my own mechanic would be well able for it. Do you remember what the cost was to get that done Keith? My guy is away for a few weeks and if its reasonable money i might just drop it up. Im just glad that all signs arent pointing to the diff

I got a load of stuff done at the same time so not sure what the cost was
Ciaran rs-ra is his user name on here send him a pm

Didnt get a chance to drop the car out this weekend, but the more i drive it the more im thinking its diff and not struts. I bounced on the rear seats and rocked up and down on the rear sills to try get some movement on the struts and nothing not a sound and just rolling over ramps with no power produces no noise either, its only on and off power. So think thinking t=its not my struts. After some digging i found this

"This noise is caused at the engament point in the R180 diff (Plated type LSD). Everyone will have this noise at some point or another, if you drive your STi like it was built to be driven. This is common with a mechanical 1.5 way type LSD.

The sound is normal. There are of course those unique cases when someone will have broken something.

With time the thickness of the disks wear down. The engagement point (initial torque) on the rear diff becomes less sensative (has more slack) to throttle input and gives a loud engagement sound (like a dog box tranny) when it it does engage. This is suppose to happen.

If you have this sound and then all sudden it's gone and you don't feel any engagement. You have a serious problem.

It should occur during acceleration engagement and deceleration engagement. Most noticable at slower speeds because there are less noises occuring. Thats how a 1.5 way type diff works.

It is very possible that gear oil changes make a difference in some cases. With new clean fluid, the diff now "re-seats" with the total amount of oil and different viscosity (compared to the old oil). It's not a fix, just a small
change. Your will probably hear your diff again very soon.

I think it's a good idea to change your LSD oil often. Change it in spring before the first track day of the year and after the last one. Clean the chips on the magnet of the drain plug. That should give an idea of wear and tear on the LSD.

The rear LSD can be tuned for different initial torque. STi does have an overhaul kit for this very purpose. STi also makes a pressure ring set to further improve on the sesitivity of the LSD"

The yanks seem to think its very normal, but im surprised noone on here has been a victim. Ill drop it out to ciaran and look into the wheel nuts and servicing the diff.

Mine would only happen pulling up to a slow stop you would get a clunk and the odd on off power

I rang ciaran and he had me doing a bit of investigating, it still happens when warmed up (means probably not diff internals) and it's definitely coming from the right hand rear. From talking to previous owner it's been happening for over 2 years and isn't getting any worse, I'm hoping it's the shock at the right. Just can't make it happen unless I'm on or off power, iv been coasting over ramps and no noise but when I put the foot on the accelerator boom noise again. It's so f*cking weird.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back