My type r project

TypeR555

Sunday Drivers
235d9e2af64e73939e7da9d5db5ed9e4.jpg

This my type r I bought a while back, when I bought it it was engine less so far ive bought a v5 sti engine with a miss in it so I droped it over to a friend who is going to build it for me .he discovered a valve damaged due some 1 droping a bolt in the inlet manifold crazy I no.he also discovered that some 1 had put wrx heads on the engine.ive searched most of the subaru breakers that I no and hand no luck getting v5 sti heads. A friend of mine has 04 sti heads and im thinking off using them I was wondering what else do I need to run these heads on my v5 sti engine.i have bought a few upgrades for my engine to so far I have forged pistons new age rods sump baffle rod bolts gasgets ect upgrade oil pump any help would be great thanks

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

235d9e2af64e73939e7da9d5db5ed9e4.jpg

This my type r I bought a while back, when I bought it it was engine less so far ive bought a v5 sti engine with a miss in it so I droped it over to a friend who is going to build it for me .he discovered a valve damaged due some 1 droping a bolt in the inlet manifold crazy I no.he also discovered that some 1 had put wrx heads on the engine.ive searched most of the subaru breakers that I no and hand no luck getting v5 sti heads. A friend of mine has 04 sti heads and im thinking off using them I was wondering what else do I need to run these heads on my v5 sti engine.i have bought a few upgrades for my engine to so far I have forged pistons new age rods sump baffle rod bolts gasgets ect upgrade oil pump any help would be great thanks

Nice project

Welcome

Someone that knows there stuff will be along soon [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

lovely car, saving for rebuild on my type r also- best of luck with it, lovely colour by the way

04 STI heads will have AVCS, you can run the car without the AVCS working but it won't reach its maximum potential that way..

But to run the AVCS a nice touch would be to buy a Syvecs ecu, get an adapter loom made that will run the AVCS... if going this route you could just drop a full newage STI engine in..

You could, rather than buy a Syvecs, get a newage ecu and do all the wiring mods needed to use it and run AVCS... But what you will save on the ecu you will spend a good bit on wiring so I would go with Syvecs.

But if you don't want to go up into big power and want to keep costs down a standard set of v5/v6 STI heads would be the cheapest and most straight forward
I sold my set last year for I think 300 sterling, they had Supertech valves, and we're only after being fully overhauled so ready to bolt on.

Last edited:
04 STI heads will have AVCS, you can run the car without the AVCS working but it won't reach its maximum potential that way..

But to run the AVCS a nice touch would be to buy a Syvecs ecu, get an adapter loom made that will run the AVCS... if going this route you could just drop a full newage STI engine in..

You could, rather than buy a Syvecs, get a newage ecu and do all the wiring mods needed to use it and run AVCS... But what you will save on the ecu you will spend a good bit on wiring so I would go with Syvecs.

But if you don't want to go up into big power and want to keep costs down a standard set of v5/v6 STI heads would be the cheapest and most straight forward
I sold my set last year for I think 300 sterling, they had Supertech valves, and we're only after being fully overhauled so ready to bolt on.
Cheers id like to run the engine to its best potential but run it safe I have a jems ecu that I was going to run on the new engine but not sure if it will run the avcs ill try get a pic of the serial number of the ecu up
How much u looking for them ive pretty much comitted to buying the 04 sti engine ill have to think about what route ill take

Gems Ecu wont run.

Can get a modifed v5/6 alcatek with avcs drivers. So yes could drop in complete new age lomg block original v5/6 manifold.

Also can get a conversion loom to run new age coil packs instead of plug leads.

Makes a nice job.

Last edited:
I'm picking up the new age Sti engine on wensday do I need the new age manifolds and will I need the new age engine loom and is there anything else I should take off the car while I'm there that I need to run the new age heads cheers for the comments and help lads

No use your manifold. Just long engine really you use. Then need to purchase avcs converter loom and that will connect to your custom avcs modded v5/6 alcatek ecu when you get it.

Will u price up the loom and ecu and give me pm thanks Dave I'll stick I have a friend who will probably take the jems ecu off me

You could be in luck for a new JTI AVCS and Coil pack conversion loom.. The guy paid £231 and is selling it for £160 GBP new never used so nice saving there!!!!!! just popped up on scoobynet.. And the seller is a sound guy. http://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...avcs-and-new-age-colipack-conversion-kit.html

The loom this guy on Scoobynet is selling is a JTI loom which is one of the most if not the most popular loom conversion suppliers, Here is a link to the JTI Website so you can see the loom and the professional set up they have.. Nice saving there, wish I had come across similar when I got mine :(

http://www.jti.uk.com/product-category/looms/

Last edited:
Back