strange noise

D

discobarr

here's one for ye. there's a squeeking noise comin from my front left wheel/arch area. happens when i turn the wheel slightly at any speed during general driving and cornering. then if i'm turning 90 degrees at low speed it turns into a screech. if i'm revearsing at full lock i can hear a very loud grinding noise. had it checked by someone and he couldn't find anythin wrong. he cleaned the suspension but it didn't help. it doesn't always happen either. some days it's fine. i'd appreciate any ideas or if it's happened to anyone else because it's really really REALLY annoying :angry:
cheers

i'd say its the wheel bearing going if not that then the cv joint

ya at first i thought it might have been a wheel bearing but it's more of a squeel than a humm. might change it anmway just in case.

cool cheers for the help. lets hope it doesn't go on my way to get a new one.
cheers again.

it wouldnt be a stone cought between disk and the tin shield,  there was groved disks on a old 97 irish impreza i had and i used to get chippings making a horrible noise very often.. it was what ever kind of grooves they had, had set of ebc dimpled ands grooved on sti and rarely had problem, ne way just an idea for you, if its only in car while wheel is moving, i would check all  the rotating parts first, myself i would of thought if ball joint was making the noise, it would do so when car was stationary and you turned steering aswell..... for some strange reason the noise of the stone used to get louder when i used to move steering wheel..normal disks it can happen too aswell ,  have you got grooved disks by any chance???

First thing to do is check the pads, if there thin, they may squel like you have described. If there ok, remove them anyway and clean them. Before refitting them, put a small amount of copper grease on the edge's of the pad.

john

pads are fine and their coated in copper grease. might take them off again but they seemed to be ok. have it booked in to a garage at home on friday so i'll let ye know how i get on next week.

Then check for the slightest wheel bearing play. A very small amount can move the pads back a bit. When there returned a bit, they can vibrate, which is a common cause of a squel.

John

it could also be something as simple as the wheel being to big for the car, and it is catching the inside body.

that makes sense actually johnny. their only a 17" wheel and not that deep and it's not damaged on the inside. cheers for all yer help lads. i really appreciate it. i think the most common answer is relating to the wheel bearing so i think i'll go with that for now. i'll keep ye posted.

ok long story short. i took the car to a couple of mechanics and none of them could find anything wrong with bearings, cv joints etc but they all suggested that it must be the suspension. managed to pick up a set of STI suspension in McCeevers for cheap enough. haven't put them in yet lets hope their freash enough ha ha. cheers for all the advice people gave me.

Back