Fresh paint job didn't last too long!

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
I'm not sure what happened but it seems like somewhere my car got lightly cover with lots of specs of white paint. I'm not sure what it is or how it happened but its all over the bonnet and wings and door from what I can see so far.bi went back to the paint shop and he isn't sure what it is either, some come off some are a bit more stubborn. I tried some super resin polish on the bonnet but it didn't shift them.

I might need to try something a bit more abrasive. But nothing to harsh on fresh paint. Any recommendations?

Hard to tell from the picture what it might be... but seeing the spread pattern must have been well diluted and light with quite a bit of wind / air to disperse it.

I wouldn't use polishing compound as that tries to shift it with mechanical action... Instead would try solvent route first with minimal mechanical action to try "wash" the white stuff off. Start with least damaging / aggressive and work you way up (e.g. water, water with detergent, methanol / ethanol spirits, petrol, terp, thinners). Also when trying the more aggressive solvents use a cotton-bud on small area first to test.

Ultimately even thinners is not as bad as a polishing compound on fresh paint (especially water based modern paints) if used on a soft cloth with a light touch.

Somebody where you live our work most likely has been getting painting done and the wind has blown it all over your car
I would use thinners to take it of but I wouldnt do it while your paint is curing
Id leave it as is and wait to take it off when the paint has cured personally :thumb:

Paint shop said I can use whatever I want on the paint now it should be grand. Just nothing too abrasive. Maybe something with a mild cut in it? I might actually leave it in somewhere to get sorted.

I'd try a fallout/glue remover on it. I saw Ian in Elite do the same with a new black AMG. Don't know what brand he used but had a purple cap and came in a spray can. Microfiber cloth and some patience. He sprayed, left for 2 mins and buffed with 2 fingers on the cloth with light pressure. Repeated until all gone.

Think he's booking only now Dan as they're too busy. Drop him a text or Facebook message.

Did he not get another lad in to help
Seen one of his posts saying he was back doing drop in
If ya find out can you let me know
Cheers
Keith

Thats for car washes.

No way gonna be able arrive and he has 6-8 hrs of buffing time free ready to go.

Be a test area i would think and book a day.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I was only going to drop in and ask if there is anything he fan do with it and book it in when he has time or buy the stuff he would use and do it myself. Of course I wasn't electing to rock up on a Saturday expecting him to sort it there and then!

Ha.

He will guide you right.
Nice guy.

He will (i think) take time do a little test area make sure product will work etc.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I had to book day before midweek for a wash and vacuum last month. Friend of mine was booking and got lucky there was a spot free 3 hours later.

He has Johnner back and that's why he's so busy, because he's sorting all the bookings and what they can take in a day. Then there's a dealers around the corner that regularly random drop cars that have been traded in looking for a same day full valet on them.

To pick his brain, definitely just pop out to him, he'll have time.

cheers lads, I might try clay bar a section and see does that help, if not i would need some professional advice on what to try, rather than randomly trying stuff that may do more harm than good! I'll drop into him on Monday if i get a chance and see what he recommends

If polish didn't shift it then it could be bonded to the lacquer and may take a little with it as the clay pulls the last bit off. Chemical and patience I think is best but try a test area and see. If it takes it all off in a test area use a nice bright LED and get in close to make sure the paint wasn't damaged.

Back